Author Topic: Second oka \ St. Paulin with mushrooms  (Read 2054 times)

john H

Second oka \ St. Paulin with mushrooms
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:58:05 AM »
Finally got time to make some cheese. I am very happy with the make in general. Temperatures were hit and held better then in past makes. A side note to myself to weigh the curd when using more that 1 hoop for consistency in brining. I have posted some pictures for those who are visually inclined. :P   

30 liters pasteurised unhomogenized whole milk and water from rehydrated mushrooms.

Gradually heat to 32C and hold.

Add 3/8 tsp MA4001, 3/8 tsp aroma type B and a pinch of B linen. Ripen 90 minutes.

Add 2 tsp calcium chloride (diluted in 1/4 cup water), stir with up and down strokes.

Add 1 1/2 tsp rennet (diluted in 1/4 cup water), stir with up and down strokes.

This milk set in 30 min with clean break.

Cut the curd into 1\2 cubes and let curd rest 10 minutes.

Gently stir 5 minutes to break any larger cubes (I use a wisp).

Begin to raise temperature to 35C over 45 minutes and hold at 35C for 5 minutes.

Remove 1\2 the whey and replace it with warm water at 40C to increase vat temperature to 37C over 10-15 minutes.

Drain curd in colander, mill in mushrooms and hoop.

10 hours in press.

12 hours in heavy brine.

Take out of brine and air dry at room temperature until surface feels dry to the touch.

Place in ripening box store at 10C.

develop a smear coat by using a 3% salt solution with a pinch of B linen.

Wash twice a week for first 2 weeks and once a week for the following 6 weeks.

valley ranch

Re: Second oka \ St. Paulin with mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
I have to say: Those rings look nice! The mushrooms, is that your inventive nature showing or is it done often, never seen that before. I like it.

And the presses, simple but great. You said it was fresh whole milk, just wondering why you added the calcium?

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:58 AM »
I have to say: Those rings look nice! The mushrooms, is that your inventive nature showing or is it done often, never seen that before. I like it.

And the presses, simple but great. You said it was fresh whole milk, just wondering why you added the calcium?

You generally get better curd formation by adding calcium chloride when using pasteurized milk. Pasteurization can alter the structure of the milk and the added calcium helps to restore the structure so a better/stronger curd will form.

Susan

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:43 AM »
Very nice John.... looks great... I love mushrooms... cant wait to see how this ages for you. I imagine that would be awesome melted slightly on a roast beef or steak sandwich.... yummy... a cheese for you man :)

john H

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »

Hi Valley Ranch the whole milk is pasteurised unhomogenized full fat. Susan is right about calcium additions it was also recommended by the farmer. Here is the link to my first make and you can see how well it did age. Sadly it didn't last long. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,15324.0.html

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:15:22 PM by john H »

john H

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »
Very nice John.... looks great... I love mushrooms... cant wait to see how this ages for you. I imagine that would be awesome melted slightly on a roast beef or steak sandwich.... yummy... a cheese for you man :)

Thanks for the cheese Fritz. This cheese has become our fav and very good with or on lots of other foods. 

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:14:27 PM by john H »