Author Topic: TA061 Thermophilic Culture - 50 DCU ?  (Read 5727 times)

achik1990

TA061 Thermophilic Culture - 50 DCU ?
« on: October 16, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
What's the difference between 50 DCU and 125 DCU?

What does DCU means?

I'm still new to this so I have no idea what does it mean...  :(

I found this on the description left behind by the seller

"TA61 Cheese Culture - for professional results. This culture is ideal for many harder cheeses, especially Italian and Swiss style cheeses including Parmesan, Provolone, Mozzarella, Asiago, Gruyere and Emmental.It is a thermophilic culture and is used in cheese production that requires temperatures typically higher than around 43º (110ºF), usually producing a much harder style cheese.

Usage Levels: 1 sachet is enough to inoculate about 600 - 650 litres of milk

Composition: Streptococcus Thermophilus. Carrier: Sucrose, Maltodextrins

Storage: Store refrigerated (<4ºC/42ºF)"

The 1 sachet = 50DCU

So 1 sachet can inoculate 600-650 liter of milk  :o is this legit?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: TA061 Thermophilic Culture - 50 DCU ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »
What in the world is a DCU?
This is a somewhat confusing concept to grasp.

A DCU is a proprietary measurement which is neither a weight nor a volume. Instead, it is a measure of the bacterial activity contained within the entire packet, since creameries and commercial cheesemakers use these packets in their entirety. A 25-DCU packet of a given lot today could weigh, for example, 6 grams, but tomorrow's lot with the same DCU value could weigh 5.5 grams. The entire packet as a whole will have a consistent total amount of activity. Home and hobby cheesemakers usually only need a very small portion of the packet and must slightly over-inoculate anyway; therefore, this DCU measurement and its subtle variability between lots does not really apply to home cheesemakers. This slight shift will not affect a home cheesemaker's batch. Since we do not break down most of our commercial-sized packets for home use (this saves everyone a lot of money), DCUs can be confusing to the home user. In addition, it is difficult to say exactly how far a given packet will go, since different types of cheeses and different batch sizes have different inoculation rates.

So, how can you figure out how many batches of cheese you'll get from a given packet size? It really depends on the culture, but in general the home user can usually expect to get at least (20) 2-gallon batches out of a 50-DCU packet (again, there is still the variable of which kind of cheese you are making. We offer this as a general approximation for many cheese types and a common batch size).

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
What's the difference between 50 DCU and 125 DCU?  This pertains to the quantity of culture the packet contains.  125/50 = 2.5.  So the larger package has 2.5 times the content of the smaller package

What does DCU means?  Basically DCU means dosage units. 

The 1 sachet = 50DCU

So 1 sachet can inoculate 600-650 liter of milk  :o is this legit?  Yes.  Thus, 1 DCU inoculates about 12-13 liters of milk.

For more information invest in Caldwell's Book.

achik1990

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:14:57 PM »
What in the world is a DCU?
This is a somewhat confusing concept to grasp.

A DCU is a proprietary measurement which is neither a weight nor a volume. Instead, it is a measure of the bacterial activity contained within the entire packet, since creameries and commercial cheesemakers use these packets in their entirety. A 25-DCU packet of a given lot today could weigh, for example, 6 grams, but tomorrow's lot with the same DCU value could weigh 5.5 grams. The entire packet as a whole will have a consistent total amount of activity. Home and hobby cheesemakers usually only need a very small portion of the packet and must slightly over-inoculate anyway; therefore, this DCU measurement and its subtle variability between lots does not really apply to home cheesemakers. This slight shift will not affect a home cheesemaker's batch. Since we do not break down most of our commercial-sized packets for home use (this saves everyone a lot of money), DCUs can be confusing to the home user. In addition, it is difficult to say exactly how far a given packet will go, since different types of cheeses and different batch sizes have different inoculation rates.

So, how can you figure out how many batches of cheese you'll get from a given packet size? It really depends on the culture, but in general the home user can usually expect to get at least (20) 2-gallon batches out of a 50-DCU packet (again, there is still the variable of which kind of cheese you are making. We offer this as a general approximation for many cheese types and a common batch size).

"(20) 2-gallon batches out of a 50-DCU packet" not sure if I understand this part  :-[

achik1990

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
What's the difference between 50 DCU and 125 DCU?  This pertains to the quantity of culture the packet contains.  125/50 = 2.5.  So the larger package has 2.5 times the content of the smaller package

What does DCU means?  Basically DCU means dosage units. 

The 1 sachet = 50DCU

So 1 sachet can inoculate 600-650 liter of milk  :o is this legit?  Yes.  Thus, 1 DCU inoculates about 12-13 liters of milk.

I see... is there difference between brands?
Do they standardize this? Or certain company use DCU and some dont..

For more information invest in Caldwell's Book.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
"(20) 2-gallon batches out of a 50-DCU packet" not sure if I understand this part  :-[

Achik, part of what is confusing is the difference between using cultures in a commercial setting vs. using them in a home/hobby setting. In a commercial setting, they are making cheese 600 litres at a time, so they would be looking for a 50 DCU packet to put into that 600-litre vat. At home, you are going to make, say, 10-16 litre batches. In theory, with very, very precise scales, you could measure the weight of the contents of the packet and divide it up according to the ratio of 1 packet per 600 litres of milk. In practice, though, most of us find it easier just to use small measuring spoons (ones that can measure not just 5, 2.5., 1.25 ml, but also .625, .3125, .01625 ml -- or in other words, not just 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp, and 1/4 tsp, but also 1/8 tsp, 1/16 tsp, and 1/32 tsp). Many recipes call for "1/8 tsp TA061" or something like that. In reality, since the strength of one batch of culture varies from the next, 1/8 tsp might be more or less innoculation than is really needed -- and the recipes err on the side of more. Thus, even though the packet might provide up to 600 liters, in home use it might only last for, say 200 liters, because, following the recipe, you are using more each time than is really necessary.

This does not hurt anything, as long as you keep an eye on the process, especially the pH, to make sure you are not over-acidifying and getting something other than what you are aiming for. With experience, you get to know how "strong" a given packet it, and you can make adjustments accordingly.
-- Andy

achik1990

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »

Achik, part of what is confusing is the difference between using cultures in a commercial setting vs. using them in a home/hobby setting. In a commercial setting, they are making cheese 600 litres at a time, so they would be looking for a 50 DCU packet to put into that 600-litre vat. At home, you are going to make, say, 10-16 litre batches. In theory, with very, very precise scales, you could measure the weight of the contents of the packet and divide it up according to the ratio of 1 packet per 600 litres of milk. In practice, though, most of us find it easier just to use small measuring spoons (ones that can measure not just 5, 2.5., 1.25 ml, but also .625, .3125, .01625 ml -- or in other words, not just 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp, and 1/4 tsp, but also 1/8 tsp, 1/16 tsp, and 1/32 tsp). Many recipes call for "1/8 tsp TA061" or something like that. In reality, since the strength of one batch of culture varies from the next, 1/8 tsp might be more or less innoculation than is really needed -- and the recipes err on the side of more. Thus, even though the packet might provide up to 600 liters, in home use it might only last for, say 200 liters, because, following the recipe, you are using more each time than is really necessary.

This does not hurt anything, as long as you keep an eye on the process, especially the pH, to make sure you are not over-acidifying and getting something other than what you are aiming for. With experience, you get to know how "strong" a given packet it, and you can make adjustments accordingly.

I see.. so basically if I want to save some of the culture I should use it based on weight ?
I'm a bit slow learn so bear with me  :(

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
Yes based on weight would be better but , only a very expensive scale could measure such a small amount . 1/32 tsp would be about 20 grains of salt , very hard to measure .

You should start recording the timing it takes to get to Mozzerella stretch as this is the same ph needed for brining a tomme or Gouda and knowing how long in time it takes  and how much time it varies by is  going to come in handy  when you want to start making other cheeses with out a ph meter and a standard culture amount

With the cost of cultures in Malaysia I think you should be making a mother starter and freezing it , it will help you get a lot more mileage out of your cultures

Link to recipe for mother starter

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5165.0.html

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
+1 for what Gregore said!
-- Andy

achik1990

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Yes based on weight would be better but , only a very expensive scale could measure such a small amount . 1/32 tsp would be about 20 grains of salt , very hard to measure .

You should start recording the timing it takes to get to Mozzerella stretch as this is the same ph needed for brining a tomme or Gouda and knowing how long in time it takes  and how much time it varies by is  going to come in handy  when you want to start making other cheeses with out a ph meter and a standard culture amount

With the cost of cultures in Malaysia I think you should be making a mother starter and freezing it , it will help you get a lot more mileage out of your cultures

Link to recipe for mother starter

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5165.0.html

awesome..thx greg  ;)

btw if i use a mother culture..how much do i need to inoculate X amount of milk?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 04:46:04 AM »
I use about a quarter cup for about 6  litters , but I think if you read the whole thread you will find your answer  and probably more accurate than mine .

This is why I suggest timing  and recording everything for your Mozzerella  makes  as this will give you the needed info to feel confident trying other cheeses .

achik1990

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
I use about a quarter cup for about 6  litters , but I think if you read the whole thread you will find your answer  and probably more accurate than mine .

This is why I suggest timing  and recording everything for your Mozzerella  makes  as this will give you the needed info to feel confident trying other cheeses .

Yup I've already read the spreadsheet provided on the link you gave me  :-*
Thanks greg..