Author Topic: How much PC in a packet?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
How much PC in a packet?
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
If I buy a packer of say PC, which quotes to be sufficient for 250 -300l of milk, how much of the PC should be in the packet?  The first one I have purchased (similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penicillium-Candidum-Culture-produces-white-mould-on-cheese-/152278077354?hash=item23747b0faa:g:gsUAAOSwZJBX~2kq , but from another reseller) seems to have sufficient for about 10l, when used at the dosage recommended on various sites for direct innoculation of Camembert (Aprox 1/32 tsp for 8l).   Just seems horrendously expensive.  Or have I just received a rogue packet?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: How much PC in a packet?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
By my calculation, if you are using 1/32 tsp for each 10L of milk, then the packet should contain about 1 to 1.2 tsp of culture. Does that sound like about what you have?
That should then be enough for 32-35 makes.
When you say that you only have enough for 10L, that would mean that you only have little more than 1/32 tsp, which would indeed be a light packet. Or perhaps you mean that you have enough for 10 makes of 8L each, which would be about 1/3 tsp.
- Andrew

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
Nowhere near a teaspoon - 2 lots of 1/32 probably at most.  At such small volumes its hard to be that accurate.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
If the packet only has 1/16 tsp total in it, then yes, that sounds like you may have gotten a rogue packet. Either that, or else it is ridiculously concentrated.
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
Yes, it's a dud.
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Lloyd, for comparison, here is the PC I bought almost two years ago: http://artisangeek.com/danisco-choozit-pc-abl-penicillium-candidum/

With this, I have made 10 batches of camembert (8 liters of milk per batch) so far, and still have plenty left - I'd say I still have more than half of the packet. Thus far, even after nearly two years, it continue to perform perfectly.

This is a "10 dose" packet, whereas the one that you show seems to be a "1 dose" packet ... so maybe you really did get "1 dose" ... but I'd say you surely could find a cheaper option!
-- Andy

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Yes, I  think this was probably a duff one.

It does intrigue me that, according to the packet, 1 dose is sufficient for 250-300 litres. As for cheaper options, not found one yet in here in the UK.  Will do a proper search when the existing packet runs out (which I hope will be next weekend as I've just purchased a pH meter and I'm keep to try it out.  :D)

valley ranch

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »
Greetings Lloyd, that's not: Lloyd of London is it. Yep, that amount seem like a real burn, wouldn't hurt to see if they, the seller, would like to make it right.

Have a good day.

Richard