Author Topic: Splitting the Batch  (Read 1691 times)

SecondMouse

Splitting the Batch
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
Good morning folks. I know it's really short notice but today I am making my first cheddar. It's a 2 gallon batch which I'd like to split in two. Should I split after pressing but before drying, or dry the whole thing and split before waxing?
Thanks

zenith1

Re: Splitting the Batch
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
well..I believe if I where going to split the wheel I would do so before the air drying step. That way you would have a more controlled drying of the rinds of both pieces. Then go ahead and wax as usual.

SecondMouse

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was leaning toward and that's what I'll do unless someone has a good reason otherwise. I was originally thinking of pressing two individually wrapped wheels at once but decided that this might lead to unbalanced and inefficient pressing. The cheese is in the press now. The process went off without a hitch. So far, so good.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
Glad to hear that the wheel is being processed. I have heard that some people also re-wax a wheel that has been cut to sample. I have not tried this as I do not have the discipline to not eat the whole thing once it has been cut! ;D

SecondMouse

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
Yeah, I'll bet. This is my first cheese besides Mozz. and I want to taste it already! But I know how it works from homebrewing. Just make another one next week and keep the pipeline full. :) That's kind of why I want to split this batch in the first place. Also to see how the flavor changes with age.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:46:11 AM »
Waiting is the hardest part but it'll be worth it!