Author Topic: Making bries this weekend - help...  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Making bries this weekend - help...
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Hi there...

I'm making bries this weekend. I have ordered Choozit MM100 and I think that I have some (expired) Geo13 in the freezer...

I'm using organic pasteurized milk at around 4% fat.

• Which recipe should I use? I really want them to be a sucess. Anyone have a good recipe maybe with PH measurements during the process
  • Can I use the Geo13 even if it has expired over a year ago (the bag has been opened)?

I found a recipe on the frontpage of cheeseforum.org. Anyone got experience with it?

I really look forward to hearing from you guys. And I am excited to make a batch of cheese this weekend...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:57:37 PM by Danbo »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Making bries this weekend - help...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »
Here's mine buddy!  Works great!  http://alewis64.blogspot.com/#!/2014/02/triple-cream-brie.html  You may have to copy and paste it or, if it takes you to my blog, just scroll down.  Also, here's the thread I did on the make.  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10862.0.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:59:56 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
Danbo, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Geo, as long as it has been stored in the freezer. Do you have some PC to go along with the Geo, or are you going to make this using Geo only?

By the way, make sure the organic milk is not Ultra Pasteurized - around here, any organic milk in the store is always UP. :(
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:58:16 AM »
I have some Choozit ABL (PC) - it will be a combination of PC and Geo the two in rhe ratio 1:4 I think...

I'm pretty sure that organic milk in Denmark is generally not ultra pasteurized. I always use organic. :-)

Thanks for the tip regarding the expired Geo. :-)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
ABL and Geo 13 are the combination I use as well, but the recipe I have followed uses a 2:1 ratio. For 2 gallons of milk (plus another pint of added cream), I use 1/32 tsp of PC-ABL and 1/64 tsp of Geo 13. Seems to work well ... but I doubt it would be much different if I used, say, 1/16 tsp of PC with 1/64 tsp of Geo.

Is this your first batch of brie, or similar cheese (camembert, etc.)? If so, get ready to become addicted ... I never cared much for brie or camembert until I made my own. Oh, my -- beyond delicious. Can't wait to see your results!
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
I've made several bathes of bries before but not all of them was successes. I have struggled with over salting problems until I got a tip from Mal (the master of bries) on how to hand salt them and not use a brine.

I am a bit bacteriofobic and that is why I have made more hard cheeses than bries. And yes, I know... Strange hobby to fall on love with when you are a bit afraid of bacteria... ;)

:-) Danbo

lazyeiger

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:25:25 AM »
Here's mine buddy!  Works great!

So I went to Albertsons looking for that cream and milk, no dice all they have is something called "lucerne farms" all the cream was UHT. Looks like Albertsons in New Mexico no longer carries the Everyday essentials stuff.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
Lazyeiger,

I can't find any cream around here that isn't UHT. And I can't find any milk that isn't at least P&H. Even so, I've been able to get acceptable results using 2 gallons of whole milk (the cheapest brand in the store here works the best - go figure) along with 1 pint of cream. The curd will shatter to some degree, but the end result is still delicious.
-- Andy

lazyeiger

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
Andy,

I found regular grade A pasteurized heavy cream at Trader Joe's they also have grade A pasteurized goat milk too (pricey).

Don't know where you live in NC, I have family in Wilmington and I know there is at least one TJ's there.

Jon

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
Unfortunately, I live about an hour from the closest Trader Joe's. That is not outside the realm of what I would be willing to drive ... but often my cheesemaking has to be squeezed into and around a very busy schedule, so it is hard to plan two hours to get the milk at the right time to make the cheese. :( That said, you've encouraged me to "try harder" the next time I have a little bit of extra time on the weekend!
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:41:32 PM »
And now... waiting for them to soften... :-)

AeonSam

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
Looks good Danbo!

Sam

AnnDee

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
I have to say Danbo, I love how neat and tidy your cave is looking (I saw the picture of you cave from another post). And the bries are looking good too! AC4U!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
Thank you. I actually have 3 caves (big fridges) and 1 small freezer. They have external temperature regulators and held at different temperatures.

Right now I'm starting to fill Cave 3 (picture) with hard cheeses (rigth now it's goudas that I'm trying to be good at making). I'm planning both waxed and natural rind versions.

I'm a bit bacteriofobic (oh, what a hobby to choose) and clean and organized caves are important to me... ;)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
I couldn't resist the temptation and opened one of the bries... They were born 5 weeks ago, but they are quite thick and the curd was pretty dry when hooped.

It's not quite ready yet, but I think that they will turn out fine.