Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 739 times)

Semajzemog

Hi everyone!
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is James and I live in Salem, Oregon. So far in life I've enjoyed 13 years in the restaurant/ food production industry, but 4 years ago I was offered the opportunity to begin a new path as a cheesemaker for a small production facility in the valley. I have not looked back since! I would like to start project cheeses at the house and am working on a space for the mini fridge and equipment. Washed rinds are coming!

Currently my experience is in Chevre and Feta using pasteurized goat milk using small and large form moulds. I am interested in learning all I can from others, while contributing of course, on this forum more directly as I have been lurking on here for some time. Linuxboy, one of the forum members, may be to thank for that.  :) If you are new here and interested in some seriously deep information, look up the past posts.

The science of cheesemaking is where my studies are now: osmosis, salt absorption rates, pH control and monitoring, and the refinement of my practices to better reflect the quality of milk I've received.  Over the years I've spent so far on cheesemaking, the recipes and processes I've been given continue to evolve into maturity and the connection I feel to the land, goats, and milk has brought me unbelievable happiness and satisfaction.

One thing I am having issues with at the moment is my Hannah pH meter, its being so fickle and finicky! I am looking for stability and accuracy down to the hundredth. Any suggestions or luck with a good brand would be great. Hannah provides solid instruments, but perhaps there is a better solution.

If anyone can point me to resources that they've used to gain a better understanding of brine interaction with Cheese, mostly the salt absorption, would be fantastic as well. Thanks a lot, and it's good to meet you all!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »
Hi there and welcome...

I've used an Extech PH100 for a while and it was reasonably good for a couple of months but then it wanted a new electrode. The new electrode lasted a month or so... I guess the accuracy depends a lot on cleaning and care but I'm still not satisfied... I tried cleaning and so on but nothing really helped...

I have just bought a second hand Hach Sension 1. It is a couple of years old but has never been used. I hope that the electrode is still OK and everything works. I'll receive it by mail in a couple of days. :-)