Author Topic: kefir cheese  (Read 995 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
kefir cheese
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:54:25 PM »
After feeding my kefir grains I often simply store the kefir that they produce in my fridge and I typically simply drain the kefir and perhaps add a little weight to the kefir and use that as a spread but I wonder if it makes any sense to heat the kefir a few degrees (to say 90F) and then add some rennet with the idea of removing more of the whey and making a more firm (and aged ) cheese. Has anyone tried this? Or does the fact that the milk has "soured" mean that adding rennet is not going to be effective coagulating the kefir? Thanks.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: kefir cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:22:51 AM »
 We always use the left over kefir to make Cheese but have never tried  adding rennet
I am not sure how well it will coagulate when it is already below 5 ph . But one would think it could make a good experiment

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
Definitely on this as an experiment. Cannot see the downside except for perhaps the loss of a few drops of liquid rennet...

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »
So started a cheese last night using 1 gallon of kefir I had from feeding the grains. Added some calcium chloride and a quarter tab of rennet after raising the temperature to 90F. The curds coagulated and I cut the curds after about 60 minutes. Much of the whey had clearly separated and I could pour this off and I then scooped the remaining curds into a form and added a 1 lb for 30 minutes, flipping after 15, then 8 pounds  for an hour, flipping at 30 minutes and after that hour I added some salt to the top and bottom. After another  hour I added about 20 lbs for an hour and then flipped and doubled the weight (40 lbs) for an overnight press. This morning the cheese is quite firm and I have it drying at about 65 F. My plan is to allow it to air dry a few days and then allow it to age at about 55F in my fridge-cave for a month or so. 
* I use a home made press made from two bamboo cutting boards about 12" X 8" and I use a can of beans on the follower to allow the top board to press down. Not sure how to calculate the PSI