Author Topic: Anyone have a HI-98127 pH meter?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Anyone have a HI-98127 pH meter?
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I've just purchased a HI-98127 pH meter, and the instructions say that the probe should be kept in storage solution.   Does anyone else have this model, and should there be a sponge in the cap to soak with storage solution?  Otherwise, can't see how to keep it moist.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Anyone have a HI-98127 pH meter?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
Yes that 1 should have a sponge in the cap , and use 4ph solution or purchase the correct solution for storage , either works . The storage solution is just more acid than 4

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
Ok. Thanks.  Solution is on order. I presume any piece of sponge will do?

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »
I have the HI-98128 and it didn't come with a sponge.  I don't really see a need for it since the cap reservoir seals tightly when snapped on.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:15:30 AM »
If it was me I would error on the side of extra moisture surrounding the bulb as if it dries out you have to soak it for an hour to,rehidrate the bulb . 

And you just know  Murphy will only  let it be noticed that it went dry when you have 5 gallons of milk  warming.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »
If it was me I would error on the side of extra moisture surrounding the bulb as if it dries out you have to soak it for an hour to,rehidrate the bulb . 

And you just know  Murphy will only  let it be noticed that it went dry when you have 5 gallons of milk  warming.

A sponge will not wrap the bulb because the bulb is surrounded by protection tabs.  I keep mine submerged using a shot glass during the cheese make.  The cap is just for long term storage.