Author Topic: Very slow pH - havarti-type!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Very slow pH - havarti-type!
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Made cheese yesterday... raw Jersey + goat milk. I had some starter given to me by Yoav at Artisan Geek, Alce Lyobac MCL AR. Here is the description: ""This blend contains the same four species found in Flora Danica, Aroima B, Choozit Probat 222, and Lyofast MW 036 R, however unlike these modern cultures that are meant to work within the production schedules of factories, the MCL AR consists of traditional heirloom strains that has slow acidification schedule yet similar strength. This enables greater release of flavor and aroma compounds into the curd matrix and a more complete breakdown of bitter peptides, resulting in significantly better flavor, aroma and texture. Creamy mouthfeel and butter notes develop with some texture opening of holes ("eyes") thanks to gas formation.""
Sounds great, so I used it instead of Flora Danica for a same temperature washed curd make. Texture developed just fine, with cutting, cooking, washing, stirring. Nice springy curd developed, but pH just poked along and was 6.6 when I wanted to drain!
I did drain the cheese, and put it in the form. Then I put the cheese + form back in the nice warm whey and left it for a couple of hours, with a 10# weight on top. I stirred a bit of FD into the whey just in case that could help!
Out of the whey and into the press as per normal. The rind formed up nicely, and finally pH started to drop.
It was 5.7 when I wanted to go to bed, so I put the cheese in the cave, and this morning it was 5.25 (target 5.2 to 5.3) after it warmed up to about 65 degrees.
I don't really know if stirring FD into the whey did something to help, or the long warm bath, or just time. I went from feeling very sad about a failed make, to feeling like I made a save.
I will be very curious to taste this in a few months!
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Very slow pH - havarti-type!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »
Curious that you dosed the pressing whey.... :-\

That culture mix sounds intriguing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Very slow pH - havarti-type!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »
Boofer, I don't really think that could do anything, but I was feeling desperate!
Susan