Author Topic: Camembert's authentic aroma  (Read 1374 times)

Pheanord

Camembert's authentic aroma
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
Hey, Everyone!
What do you think one should do to get that authentic "sweaty-stinky" smell in Camembert like it has in French AOC or Tunisia versions? Will it help if one adds a bit of lipase? Or maybe changing the mold strain would help (i only operated with PC HP6 and GEO 13).

Pheanord

Re: Camembert's authentic aroma
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »
If one have a look at French cam components at the back of the pack - there's no mention of B-linens or any specific element which makes this aroma.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
How long are you aging it for?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Pheanord

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »
Normally it takes 4-5 weeks. My cams have 75 cm diameter, quite not to big for longer ripening.
If i keep them for longer period they're getting overripened and start stinking (ammonia scent)
I'm quite happy with the outcome, the structure of cheese and overall appearance, but the smell. It smells rather neutral or light mushroomy scent is in the place. But what's the secret with this mystic and fascinating smell? Somewhere on the forum i noticed some guys add apart from standart mesophilic starter culture additional cultures (MD88?) Would it work?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:04:41 PM by Pheanord »

lazyeiger

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Maybe this is what you are looking for?

http://www.cheeseconnection.net/product/aroma-developing-cultures/

Hafnia Alvei:  This is the culture that imparts the traditional taste in French Camembert and Brie Cheeses.  This is a 50 dose bottle that is an aroma developing culture and will make a pleasing and very nice aromatic cheese.   One of our client’s cheese have already won a significant national award with this one addition to their cheese.  As Hafnia Alvei is considered “big cell cheese bacteria”, this bottle has a short shelf life; therefore, when the Best By Date approaches just use 30% more and you will achieve the same delicious and aromatic results.

Pheanord

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
Lazyeiger! So much obliged for this priceless tip. Gonna give it a go. Is anyone around has already made attempts with Hafnia Alvei?
PS: Got the cam ready (pics)