Author Topic: Ring mould with strap  (Read 5289 times)

AnnDee

Ring mould with strap
« on: October 29, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has used wooden ring mould to form you cheese.
I have been into making swiss type and especially with raclette I want to have bigger wheels with not so high width. I saw the wooden ring mould is sold in one of the cheesemaking shop but it didn't have a good review (difficult to use and overly complicated).
So I'm wondering if anyone has used this type of mould before, maybe you can advise whether it's worth it to get 1 and how to use it.
The other thing is, what do you think of using a nonstick detachable cake tin with strap? I think the design is spot on but whether you can use it to make cheese I'm not so sure.

SOSEATTLE

Re: Ring mould with strap
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:07:55 AM »
What metal is the spring form cake pan made of? If not stainless I would be reluctant to use it due to the acidity of cheese.

Susan

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »
I think it is steel or aluminum with non stick coating, so will that be a no go?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
Ann, I don't know what effect, if any, the non-stick coating would have on cheese. I would strongly expect the underlying metal to be plain steel (not stainless, and not aluminum), so if the coating gets a scratch, you'll have acidic curds acting on the steel - probably would impart some unpleasant taste. Note that the thin edge of the inner leaf is likely to lose any non-stick coating pretty easily.

But another issue is the method of use for the wooden molds. As I understand it, they are designed to be packed with curd just a bit higher than the sides; this will subside as the curd drains, so then the mold is tightened to bring the curd again just above the side; and repeat as needed. With the spring-form pan, you have only two settings, open or closed -- unless you come up with your own string-based or other method for gradually tightening the mold.

What diameter are you looking for? If it were me, I'd either go with the wooden type, accepting the more difficult and complicated use, OR I'd go for a "regular" mold, e.g., plastic or stainless steel, using a follower. Note that you could probably get a wooden mold made, possibly not very expensive there in Malaysia, BUT you will want to be sure to use a wood with a very neutral effect on food. Some woods, like the oak or walnut common here in the US, would be terrible choices because of the amount of unpleasant flavor they would impart to the cheese. Ideal would be beech, since it is very neutral with regard to flavor.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:00:23 AM »
Thank you Andy.
So far I'm using regular mould with follower and I get taller than the witdh proportion.
It's just during pressing I have slightly problem with this high cheese. PH target is met but I can tell the cheese still needs to be pressed more, so I ended up with lower PH level before brining.
I tried St. Paulin mold and bigger tomme mold. I usually make 7-14 gal batch in 1 time (7 gal will make 1 wheel), so with tomme mold I end up with left over curd.
I think I will try first using hdpe plastic with rope strap like brie. If that doesn't work I'll get the wooden ring.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 05:14:30 AM »
I made my own version of it , it seemed to work okay but it is not easy to know how much pressure you are using so some experimentation and recording will be needed , and they do need  a heavy enough topper to stop the curd from lifting the top .

link to a video of a guy using one

I think that might be a way of knowing how much pressure as one would think that if you had ten pound on top and the curd lifted it when you tightened then you were putting More than ten pounds ???

Any one have an idea if that is correct ?   

But they do certainly have a nice form factor

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »
Hi Ann,

I have one of the wooden ring cheese moulds, they are a little more fiddly to adjust but well worth it.
The trick seems to be to use a rubber mallet to knock the adjustable part to tighten after flipping and replacing the ring around the cheese. I observed this method in use on a YouTube video offGruyere or compte making I think and has made things heaps easier. In my experience , if I adjust the ring then put cheese back it seems to fold the bottom part of the excess cheese curd over.

I would thoroughly recommend a ring cheese mould, I would like to get a plastic version though.

Good luck
Mathew

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 08:49:11 AM »
Gregore, I enjoyed the video, thanks for that! Love his copper couldron!
I think the wooden ring that was on the video has already flexible with use, so maybe soaking the new one in water might help (hopefully) like the spruce bark.

I made my own version of it , it seemed to work okay but it is not easy to know how much pressure you are using so some experimentation and recording will be needed , and they do need  a heavy enough topper to stop the curd from lifting the top .

I think that might be a way of knowing how much pressure as one would think that if you had ten pound on top and the curd lifted it when you tightened then you were putting More than ten pounds ???
Will you show your version of the ring? Does it snap the curd upwards therefore the weights lifted? That was the review of the ring mould on the cheesemaking shop anyway.

AnnDee

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
Matthew,

Thanks for the info, rubber mallet will be part of my cheesemaking equipments repertoire! I think I will get the wooden ring, let's see how it goes I might come back here asking for help :)

I think you can use hdpe/food grade plastic sheets with rope ties but I'm not sure if you can use it on semi hard cheese, it works on bries though.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:44:25 AM by AnnDee »

reg

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
Ann if you have a problem with moulds have you ever thought of using 8" or larger water supply pipe ? I picked up different sizes around construction sites, they throw the cuttings away. I drilled weep holes in them and use $2 plastic cutting boards for the bottom and the follower. I use them on all my hard cheeses

AnnDee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
Hi Reg,
I haven't see those around where I live, thanks for the suggestion!
I finally got my wooden ring mould though. :)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 05:16:12 AM »
Sorry mine is long dead , I did not make it very well so I converted it into a  normal wood ringlet that does not adjust .  But is do look forward to seeing how your works as I might get one .

AnnDee

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:18 AM »
I hope someone can tell me how to use this, actually.
Do you soak it first to make it flexible?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 05:00:27 AM »
In the video I sent a link to they do not look wet , but they are well used , so maybe they need to be soaked when newer .

I am assuming they are very stiff?

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 05:58:02 AM »
Yes, stiff coil of wood. I do not know how to adjust it yet. I have to see the video again before I use it. I'm planning to use it this coming wednesday.