Author Topic: Brie Damage Control - Ammonia Smell  (Read 1999 times)

AeonSam

Brie Damage Control - Ammonia Smell
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:59:09 AM »
Hello Folks,

My Brie #2 Batch is looking good appearance-wise but these are relatively young and emmiting a strong ammonia smell. I've read different reasons why it's happening. Ripening temp too high or moisture too high, etc.

I used French calf rennet on these for the first time and it was more potent than I was expecting. These curds were really firm - I almost couldn't cut them without moving the entire mass.

I'm wondering if there is a way to mitigate the damage or should I consider them lost? I had some friends wanting to try some but I don't think it would be nice to gas them :)

Sam
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:58:25 AM by AeonSam »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Brie Damage Control - Ammonia Smell
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
Sam, are they feeling ripe (i.e., squishy all the way to the center)? If so, try leaving one out on the counter for an hour or so; this will let a lot of the ammonia dissipate. There may still be some "bite" in the taste, but shouldn't be overwhelming at that point. And anyway, that's part of the brie/cam experience ... :)
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
Andy, these are pretty firm still. Only the outer edges have become soft. Do think it can still work it's way out?

Sam

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Hmm ... my thought would be to let them air out for 30 minutes or so each day as they continue to age. Certainly way too soon to consider them lost; that only happens when you have tasted them, repeatedly, and you just simply cannot stand to put another piece in your mouth. (So far, I've only had one cheese in that category - an attempt at a Manchego using lipase, that got so strong it was radioactive. I finally threw out the last 1/8 or so ... with much heartbreak.)

Of course, I'm by no means an expert. I have learned a bit by experience, having made 10 batches of camembries (as I'm calling them, since the size I make are half-way between a brie and a camembert). I've learned far more from the good folks here, so no doubt others will chime in with additional suggestions.
-- Andy

AeonSam

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »
Thanks Andy,

I've seen Mal's pics and recipes and would like to attempt to make them as soon as I can consistently make regular brie. "Radioactive" sounds pretty intense. I haven't worked with lipase yet but it's on my list.

I will give it a go with leaving the wheels out and see what happens.

Thanks again, Sam

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 03:34:18 AM »
They look rather nice to me , I would think that if you have them in the fridge that they should slow down on the off gassing of ammonia eventually , hopefully before they need to be eaten.

But if they are still rather strong by that time take them out for a few hrs before serving , if they are still really strong  when it comes time to serve them you could cut them into 4 or so pieces and help them off gass faster .

Also has any one else agreed that they are "very" strong ammonia smelling ?  You may be very sensitive to this particular chemical  and thus experience it at a higher level the others .

I on the other hand was exposed to so much ammonia as a jeweler that I have a hard time smelling it at all, along with most other things .

AeonSam

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
Thanks Gregore,

I'm pleased with the way these wheels look as well. I would say that the ammonia is strong in the relative sense. My first wheels didn't have the scent. It is the first thing that friends notice when smelling it. I didn't know you can become desensitized to a smell like that. Very interesting.

I'm hoping it goes away soon! I have them in really good micro-crystaline paper so we'll see.

Sam