Author Topic: Smooth rind Taleggio (#6)  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Smooth rind Taleggio (#6)
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:42:03 AM »
My previous effort missed the target a bit in trying to nail the smooth rind.

This make saw me try a few different techniques to achieve that elusive style that attempts to mimic "Grayson".

I don't post as much as I used to, but I thought this particular make deserved to be highlighted as "a teaching moment". In previous makes the time required to have the pH drop has been fairly short, one instance was 30 minutes. So when I had added the cultures at 90F, and after checking repeatedly with my Exstik over two hours, I should have sensed something was out of kilter. I was relying on my meter and the meter was off somewhere on holiday, lying to me about the increasing acidity of the milk. I ended up adding the rennet around pH 6.40 which is by now just a guess. Another half hour and the pH continues to drop waiting for the floc time.

After the floc time had expired I cut 2 inch blocks, rested 5 minutes, whisked into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces, rested 10 minutes, and stirred for another 30 minutes to firm up the curds @ 90F. At this point I scooped the curds into a Plyban-lined colander and predrained before moving the curds to the mould, which I'd placed on a sanitized spruce board. Looking at the curds in the Plyban sitting in the colander, I thought "Why not just pick up the whole bag, squeeze a little bit as I lifted it, and drop it into the waiting Taleggio mould?". So I placed a mould follower down first followed by a Lexan plate, the the bag of curds. Wearing gloves, I pressed the curds into the corners of the mould as best I could. Then I draped the Plyban over the top of the curd mass, placed a Lexan plate followed by a mould follower (another one with the straw-type mimicry). Then the spruce board with the filled mould was place into the incubator (a couple stacked plastic tubs, the bottom one containing 4 inches of water and a 78F aquarium heater, the top one is the actual incubation space.)

The idea here is that the curds stay warm while the pH slowly drops. After 90 minutes the pH had dropped to 5.06 (my reliance on that meter put me behind the curve)...I had been expecting 5.3-5.4 before placing the cheese into the whey-brine. Wow, hope the salt gets in there and stops the pH drop!

After 90 minutes in the whey-brine, I flipped and salted the top for another 90 minutes. After the bath the cheese went onto a damp muslin, on needlepoint mats, which sit on the spruce board inside a deep minicave. The cheese is then draped with lightly-salted damp muslin and kept in the covered minicave at room temperature for several days. The cheese is flipped daily, the excess drips down and is wicked away. The dampened spruce board helps to retain a certain humidity level inside the minicave.

The cheese square is not perfect, but there are fewer divits and crevices with this technique. Next time I might try skipping the predrain and just scoop the curds to the prepared mould. It would then be easier to tamp the curds into the corners but the overall cheese would be wetter.

We'll see how this meter fiasco affects the end product down the line. Let that be a lesson to me: Instinct and experience should steer me...do not overly rely on technology. ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Smooth rind Taleggio (#6)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:14:25 AM »
Ah that is why I got rid of the Extech , every once in a while it would act up . Actually I still have  it , I just replaced it with a more reliable option .

Maybe I should sell it , I could use the money to make more cheese .

If it had been me and I had missed the first few ph markers , adding rennet ph  and molding ph  I probably would not have kept the curds warm after they went into the mold to slow down  the acid curve and buy more time for curd drawing .  That is assuming I was thinking straight and not panicking.

I hope the best for your new cheese .

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
Good points, Gregore. I was a little distracted by other family matters, but I feel confident that the cheese will be okay. That goes to the "thinking straight". Focus, focus, focus.... ;)

My pH meter has been pretty reliable and consistent for previous makes (this is #111). I won't be ditching it. What did you replace yours with?

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:25:05 AM »
I bought the Hanna  hi 99161  , I love it but wish I had waited because a few weeks later they came out with the halo bluetooth for half price .

Yes I too am sure your cheese will be okay ,  as you caught it before it went below 5 ph

A little loving care should bring it back on track.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Just read the article on the Grayson and found it very interesting.  So basically it's a Taleggio that hasn't ripened to softness?  I wonder how they stop the process while aging it for 60 days?  At 8 weeks my taleggio was getting runny and theirs apparently does too, at some point, but they advise against buying it then.  Got to be a great back story behind this cheese.  Lot's of fun procedures in the aging as well.  I'll watch this one closely Boofer.  AC4U ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:35:23 AM »
Thanks for cheese, Al, just trying to figure out the smoothing technique.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
Tomorrow marks the 4th week for this cheese. Time to wrap it and move it to colder storage to complete the ripening.

This make has gone fairly smoothly. I have not had the problem with errant blues that I've seen in previous makes. The smoothing technique is the best ever, blocking out most of the bad guys since they don't have the crevices, nooks, and crannies that they've had available before. I did have a very small blue spot where the muslin may have been folded over and wedged into the paste. A little vinegar with a clean toothpick resolved that issue.

The surface is characterized by a slight Geo presence. Even though I had been misting with SR3, it failed to be significant. SR3(B. linens) no doubt loves a little more air time than I gave this cheese when I flipped it every other day. It has been maintained in the minicave, shrouded with the damp, briny muslin, at or around 44F/7C. There is also a slight puffiness on the sides. That is undoubtedly because of the Geo. The cooler temperature and slower growth should allow the rest of the cheese to mature without progressing to slip-skin. I expect the linens to grow a bit better as well.

When I had completed wrapping the cheese and moving it to the cave, I began to inspect and wash the muslin, needlepoint mats, and the spruce board under it all. There was a strong growth of blue under the board and on its edges. I believe the brine on the muslin may have held off the advance of the blue. In time it may have overcome the brininess and infected the cheese. But the cheese is just fine. ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »
Looking great Boofer!  Where'd you get that big cheese paper? :o

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
I bought that from The Cheesemaker. I haven't had a lot of cheeses to wrap it in so what I bought a couple years ago seems to be lasting awhile.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
Cool!  I am not a fan of that type of paper as I bought some in the smaller size and it didn't work out well.  Still have it.  I usually buy the other type http://www.cheeseconnection.net/product/papier-croute-lavee-cheese-wrapper/ .  Love this for my Baby Bries.  The larger size looks like it would work good though!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:08:18 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Lookong good! :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 05:46:03 AM »
some in the smaller size
I've got some smaller microcrystaline paper from Yoav for my Pont l'Eveques, Cams, etc., but this large format paper has worked well for all my larger washed rinds.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
I considered waiting one more week to let this ripen a bit longer but decided this morning to open and cut this cheese. I'm glad that I did. Two things were worrisome to me: the ooziness at the rind and the errant blues. I cleaned up the blues with a little vinegar prior to cutting. The ooziness will hopefully even out in the vacuum bag with a little more time in the cold fridge. The past affinage has had it wrapped up in the cave @ 44F/7C.

Seven pieces were vacuum-sealed, but the eighth piece was my Quality Control sample. The first impression was creamy with adequate, and not excessive, salt level. What appears to be a "core" or not-fully-ripened center is actually quite soft & creamy. Nice. :P

The smoothing technique seems to be improving. There is a little bit of a concern for the folds from the Plyban which create crevices in which the blues gain a foothold. I may have to cut a top and bottom sheet and then a surrounding piece to eliminate this issue. Moving forward! 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
Outstanding result!!  AC4U!! ;D

reg

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
Oh, that is looking good Boofer, great job. I really enjoy reading these posts and seeing the photos even if I don't make that type of cheese. At some point I will pick up another wine fridge and try some different types of cheese