Author Topic: 7 months old parmesan  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: 7 months old parmesan
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »
They age the Italian stuff 1 year minimum, 18 months for export to Canada.  I guess there's a reason.  The one I did was also alright but no where near the awesome taste of real Parmigiano Reggiano.  Looks like you did manage to save it though Ann.  Great job! AC4U! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »
Looks great Ann!  AC4U

IMO, raw milk is the only way to go.  Yes, it is expensive for me but I don't have to use Calcium Chloride anymore and the results are always far superior to p/h milk.  The only thing I do now is a low temperature pasteurization for young cheeses.  Anything aged eight weeks are longer, full raw all the way.

Thank you John. I agree with you, I normally use only raw milk but there was few times which local milk supplier sent gallons of milk for me to try and I supposed now we know the difference.

They age the Italian stuff 1 year minimum, 18 months for export to Canada.  I guess there's a reason.  The one I did was also alright but no where near the awesome taste of real Parmigiano Reggiano.  Looks like you did manage to save it though Ann.  Great job! AC4U! ;D

Thank you Al. I think with more time it will get better, I am hopeful now. I vac seal it and age it longer now, hopefully after 3-4 months it will get even better. What is funny, the PH milk parm has a lot of more crunchies than the raw milk but really lacking in taste, so I will start using it now for cooking. I actually was not planning on cutting it opened but after taking a core sample, I decided it was time ;D

DoctorCheese

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
I have been reluctant to make a parm because I know they need to age a long time and I may have to move in such a way that my cheese caves may be compromised. Happy for you though! AC4U  ;D

Frodage4

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:19 AM »
Hi Ann,
I couldn't wait the full year, but it sounds like you and I have had similar experiences. Hope you enjoyed yours.
At 11 months, I just couldn't wait. :( So I followed the example on the videos and I cut and cut and cut, and squeezed and sure enough - It cracked! :D What beautiful insides! And the aroma was even better than in November! Well, the taste wasn't as good as Reggiano, but I wasn't really expecting that. It's good. Umami, and salty, and just a hint of "where have you been all my life?". If I can do this on a first attempt, just imagine my second!

FYI, I've just started a new position in Washington and Oregon, so I expect to meet up with my cheese-friends in the coming months. See you soon!

AnnDee

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
Ah...yours looks devine! I love that it looks like tasty rocky nuggets.
I make bigger wheels of 4-5 kgs but I made a mistake of forgetting a wheel of 6 months old out in 29C for 1 whole day and it puffed up a bit. What say you?

Hi Ann,
I couldn't wait the full year, but it sounds like you and I have had similar experiences. Hope you enjoyed yours.
At 11 months, I just couldn't wait. :( So I followed the example on the videos and I cut and cut and cut, and squeezed and sure enough - It cracked! :D What beautiful insides! And the aroma was even better than in November! Well, the taste wasn't as good as Reggiano, but I wasn't really expecting that. It's good. Umami, and salty, and just a hint of "where have you been all my life?". If I can do this on a first attempt, just imagine my second!

FYI, I've just started a new position in Washington and Oregon, so I expect to meet up with my cheese-friends in the coming months. See you soon!

Frodage4

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
Rocky nuggets - that's pretty good. I'm going to call this "Rocky Nugget Gold"!  O0
Not sure why your cheese bloated, but others suggest bad smelling bacteria can cause that. I think it's called late blowing.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »
I am thinking 6 months old is past late blowing .   cut it and smell / taste it .