Author Topic: Liquid Animal Rennet VS French Calf Rennet problems  (Read 13522 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Liquid Animal Rennet VS French Calf Rennet problems
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 06:29:15 AM »
That sounds like a plan. :) Does the PH stay the same even if it is dilluted in destilled water?

My knowledge about PH meassurement is minimal...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 06:52:58 AM »
I just found the original post and it seems my memory of it is a little off and it is slightly more complicated than just mixing the water and cheese curd together , seems you need an emulsifier , and I suspect it too will need to be ph7 (nuetral)

I am including the link because he mentions another option

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=2909.0

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the link. I'm afraid to break the small glass element in my meter if i force it into the cheese.

I don't have any clue which emulsifier to use so I'm thinking about making some sort of mini press from a small garlic press or something. Then hopefully I can squeeze enough moist from the curd to get a meassurement.

If anyone have any alternative ideas then please let me know.

:-) Danbo

Ps.: The Hanna HALO Glass Body Refillable pH Electrode with Bluetooth® - HI11312 seems like a sweet option... :-)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 05:33:23 AM »
I think Linuxboy in the link mentioned that you can measure the fresh whey coming off the cheese ,and that it should be fairly close  in ph to the cheese ph.

the glass bulbs are usually pretty strong , I had a cheep 40 dollar one with a shield like yours before and I was easily able to push it into  curds , now a cheese after it has aged is another thing.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »
I think that I will give it a go and make a small sacrifice cheese and do the meassurements by inserting the glass probe directly into the mass.

I wonder if it is nessasary to also press this sacrifice cheese or whether it is OK to just leave the curd in a small container with drain holes? Just wondering if there will be a PH difference between pressing/turning or not.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 02:08:23 AM »
With very heavy weight I think that there is increased speed of ph

I think that you have such an accurate ph meter that you could make a record of the next cheese measuring ph or curd and whey through the process and see how much they differ along the make then use that as a guide for the future . This way you are only making a mark on cheese just 1 time .

I should add that  any marks you make up until about ph 5.7 pr so mostly go away even before salting even with out much pressing weight .  And i i would think that with a fair amount of weight the mark would go away even even after that ph.

One other thing if you still have a mark after brining you can take a little brush like a tooth brush and rub the area with some brine until you get a slurry of cheese and this will make the mark fill in .

I have done this with cheeses when pulling a core to test them for age .

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »
Thanks - I will try that.

I'm glad that you took the time to explain. Now I just looking forward to testing it in real life...

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
I made a small PH test cheese and it seemen to work fine. Thank you very much for the tip. :-)