Author Topic: 2nd Butterkase with a Brine Question  (Read 1662 times)

AeonSam

2nd Butterkase with a Brine Question
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Hey Guys,

This is my 2nd Butterkase and 2nd Washed curd cheese ever. I used a slight filter for the picture. I think this turned out well but I fell asleep and left this in the Brine for 2 hours longer than the recipe and this wheel dried much faster than my first wheel. It is also much colder now in the house with my hygrometer saying that we have 35% humidity in the house.

Do you think it was the longer brining time or the house humidity that dried the cheese quicker? Could it be both?

This is my first time using brine and the level of brine is going down in the container. Do you just add more water with salt or do you add a gallon of  water with a precise amount of salt?

Sorry, my last question. Do you think a salometer is needed?

Sam

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: 2nd Butterkase with a Brine Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
Very nice image! :)

How much the two hours have to say depends on the size of the cheese. I just brined a 2 kg gouda. According to the recipe the cheese should brine 18-24 hours. In this case 2 hours is not a big deal - around plus minus 10 percent.

Your cheese is not as large (I think) - hense 2 hours is a relatively bigger difference from your target. Maybe the cheese might become somewhat salty but I don't think that the extra time in the brine is the biggest reason for the fast drying...

35% relative air humidity is extremely dry. Normally I dry my cheeses at around 85% / 13 deg. C. I think that this is the biggest issue.

Maybe you can make a box for the cheese to maintain some of the humidity?

How to maintain a brine is a science AND a religion. Some use the same brine for years while others change brine every time they make a new cheese. Personally I only use the brine for a couple of cheeses or around 14-30 days. I keep it cool when not in use and add salt after each make. I don't have a saltometer (I considered buing one) but I make new brines often and therefore I don't really need it that much).

A way of knowing how much salt is in a brine is to saturate it (all the salt that can be dilluted in the water) and then mix it with clean boiled water to make it weaker if needed.

I also add some calcium chloride and vinegar to balance the brine.

There is a lot of people in here that knows a lot more about brines etc. than I do - I hope that they can give some advice too. Just keep asking all the questions you have...

:-) Danbo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:51:19 PM by Danbo »

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
Beautiful looking cheese!

I agree with Danbo, 35% is way low, the cheese might crack on the surface if it gets too dry. I dry my cheese in my cave with a mini humidifier on to control RH level. I have left cheese brined too long before and now I have 3  Tommes with 3 different level of saltiness.
By the way, I use the same brine for few years now. I boil it every now and then and add salt until it would not dissolve anymore (saturated).

AeonSam

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
Thanks Danbo,

The winter is starting and the house is dry. I vacuum packed this and put it in the fridge. I was just surpised at how quickly it dried.

Thanks Anndee. I only have a Manchego mold so all of my cheeses are going to look like Manchego :)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 07:04:39 PM »
I have similar moulds - it's a very nice cheese you have made.

Just wondering... Do you use cheese cloth in the mould ore do you use the mould without dressing and redressing on turning?

My Manchego moulds are microperforated (a lot of very small drain holes in the top and bottom). I have used mine without cheesecloth and I just turned the whole mould a couple of times during pressing.

I believe that it is best to use cheese cloth due to better draining but I'm not sure that it is practical i manchego moulds with the pattern...

Maybe I can learn something from you?

By the way... Have a cheese from me...

:-) Danbo

AeonSam

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
Thanks Danbo!

This Manchego mould seems to have only a few small holes throughout it. I have been using a synthetic draining bag. I know they're made for draining fresh cheeses but I didn't like the way my regular cheese cloth was sticking. I've ordered plyban cheesecloth but it hasn't arrived.

Here's a pic. It's pretty thin and sturdy. It just has a big seam on it, but after flipping a few times. I place the seam in the bottom corner of the wheel to keep it from really leaving a mark.

Sam

reg

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »
Sam soak your cheese cloth in the whey to bring it to the same temp and PH of the curd, your sticking problem will be solved.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
Sam: Thank you for the tip. Next time I will try a cheese cloth when using my manghego moulds... :-)

AeonSam

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »
Thanks Reg for the tip!

Danbo, let me know if it works! Also, did you ever speak with John from perfect cheese about the curd cutter?

Sam

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 07:58:15 PM »
Sam, not yet... Maybe I should do it right now... :-)