Author Topic: Bel Paese - something that came to my mind  (Read 3616 times)

mbox

Bel Paese - something that came to my mind
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »
While i made Bel Paese yesterday i "fell over" that pack of mild Lipase ....and wondered would this Lipase do any good in a Bel Paese? I made it per 200 recipe and did not add Lipase , but for next time maybe an idea?

What do you think?

Thnaks , mbox

bbracken677

Re: Bel Paese - something that came to my mind
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
Not sure what cheese that is, but if it is often made with goats milk and you want to give it that character then a bit of lipase would do the trick.

mbox

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
Not sure what cheese that is, but if it is often made with goats milk and you want to give it that character then a bit of lipase would do the trick.

Hi & thx for the feedback. No it isn't made of Goat its a cow milk cheese . Originates from italy with a pretty soft texture for a semisoft cheese. it is washed and pretty mild...could be a cheese for my wife to start getting into cheese ( in thailand cheese is not common also due to large percentage of lactose intolerancy in asia) ...so i thought more taste without mold or smell could be a good extra...

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Lipase is often used in cow milk to give the milk a bit of a "goaty" flavor...on the other hand I have seen parmesan makes that call for lipase, so it is one way to add flavor.

If you do, then you should start off light and see how you like it.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
I made a bel paese (Milano) with a blend of goat and cow milk at the end of the fall.  I want to give it 4 months aging, but I'll let you know what it's like when I cut it near the end of this month.

peno17

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
I know it as been a year but do any of you guys have any updates on how the cheeses turned out/where and what your recipe is?
thanks

Spellogue

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
Glad you posted.  I'd lost track of this thread.

The Milano (bel paese) I made in 2012 turned out pretty nice.  I'll start eating this make just a bit younger next time.  Probably best within a 3-4 month target for me.  I usually make blended milk cheeses in the late fall when I start drying off my goats.  The Hartzler's is a low temp pasteurized Holstein creamline.  Here are my notes:

CA11A. 10/27/12   Semi firm Milano
2 1/2 quarts raw goat milk
2 quarts Hartzler's whole milk
Bring to 90
Starter cultures 3/8 tsp thermo C
Pinch meso 101
10 min ripening
Calf rennet 3/64 tsp
2 hr coagulation. Curd will drop to 80.
Cut into 1/2 in cubes
Set 5 min.  Gentle stir.   Heat and stir curd to 102 F over 30 min.  Let rest 10 min.  Ladle off whey to curd surface.
Pour into cheesecloth lined tomme mold.   Drain under 8 lbs in for 12 hrs.  Redressing after 30 min. Dry salt with 4 tsp . Air dry 1-2 days.  Wipe with salted vinegar.  Dry 30 min.  Refrigerate.
Affinage:  at least 2 months.
2/10/13.  Shaping up to look like the montasiago.  But wasn't as persistent about removing the blue.  2
4/24/13 pungent, dusky, meaty.  Chargrilled overtones.  slightly peppery.  Very long finish.
5/14.  Still eating ok.  More pungent a little bluelike bite on the mid flavor and finish.  Probably past it's prime.