Author Topic: Tomme Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 125261 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Tomme Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
Thanks Buck and Linux.  I had thought it had something to do with a chemical/physical process, as I know that ricotta, etc., is cooked so it wasn't about live culture any longer.  Just piqued me to wonder how long, really, one had a window wherein the live whey cultures could be an effective inoculating agent. 

Between the rind puree method, and the whey starter culture, Linux, given me lots to work with, thanks for the expertise, as always.  I can search, by the way - but do you happen to have your whey starter thread link handy?

Edit:  Presuming this is the thread discussing whey starters - and how much a PITA they are, yes?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:51:41 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Buck47

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:43 AM »

Edit:  Presuming this is the thread discussing whey starters - and how much a PITA they are, yes?

Ya PITA --   I believe that's the link. I started studying it tonight. It looks doable for a guy at home, but fraught with problems in a commercial application.
I do find this a great beginners cheese.
Check out these photos. http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=201&resolution=low&page=1

and this one http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=220&resolution=&page=2

Both have a panorama of inside the cheesemaking chalet.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:54:25 AM by Buck47 »

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2011, 06:14:06 AM »
Awesome pics, Buck, thanks for the links.  My cooking tends to SW French, but the German part of me loves Alsace, and the Savoie.  I'd love to take a trip to this chalet, and others like it.  Have you been lucky enough to go?
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
Guys, on the whey starter, don't overthink it. Take some from the last batch (1-2%), put it in the milk, and go. A tomme is VERY forgiving, so long as you use very fresh milk and let the cheese acidify in the mold by draining at a high pH.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
Guys, on the whey starter, don't overthink it. Take some from the last batch (1-2%), put it in the milk, and go. A tomme is VERY forgiving, so long as you use very fresh milk and let the cheese acidify in the mold by draining at a high pH.

I suspect "very fresh milk" may be my limiting variable; so far, very pleased with Sassy Cow, fairly local, and they do a nice job, from all that I've heard and experienced so far.  Still, nothing like the freshness you two obtain.  Not like I'm jealous, or anything.
- Paul

OudeKaas

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »
Here are the 2 little wheels of goat's milk "tomme" I made following lb's recipe:

The photos are after air-drying for a day or so on a bamboo mat. You can see the imprint the mat left on the smoother bottom surfaces of the cheeses. The tops, unfortunately, have some significant divots from the folded-over edges of the cheesecloth lining the molds. I'm still working out proper sizing of the cheesecloth pieces to minimize this.

This was also my first time pre-pressing under whey and I was very happy with the results of that. I think this method contributed strongly to a good tight knit although the total presssing was very minimal - maybe 3 lbs of weight for each approx. 2 lb cheese.

I'm washing these daily with rind puree in mild brine now per the discussion in the other thread on that topic. . .

iratherfly

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Looks really nice!  With the wash and if you acidified and salted it correctly you should get a very nice cheese! If they are not in aging containers, make sure to keep an eye on humidity in your cave.  What kind of mold did you use? Looks like proper Tomme in proportion but a normal (7.5") size tomme in these proportion should be about 4 lbs. and not 2. It this Petit-tomme? (5.5" diameter?) Just curious.

OudeKaas

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
You are correct, irf - these are the 'petit tomme' molds from Cheesemaking. Nice to finally use them for what they were meant for after trying them out for some harder cheeses . . . As for the mold, I am working with a slurry I made from rinds of Chaumes, Port Salut, Tomme de Savioe and a raw milk Cantalet in 3% brine, as noted in this thread:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5687.msg43371.html#msg43371

Lots of discussion here lately on just these topics, and I as a newbie I am really enjoying all of it. I'm also digging tracking your own raw milk tomme efforts and as a fellow New Yorker I will admit I'm curious about your 'mobile co-op' source. Sounds like it beats driving upstate 3 hrs to get some!

Anyhow, I have been keeping the slurry for about a week and a half now and it seems to get more pungent every day. Although I could not avoid getting some little bits of the cheeses in it, I 've been keeping it refrigerated, so I would think there's no concern, but - whho-ee! Sweatsocks on steroids does not even begin to describe it. I've been wiping down every day for 5 days, then every other day 2x so far, and it's just . . . .blech. Must be mostly b. linens, I'd think. If it gets really putrid-smellying, I may just make a new one. Plus I want a mixed rind, not all stinkiness.

So far there is little or no visible mold growth on the rind - perhaps 3 or 4 very tiny bright orange spots, but that is all. The whole thing has begun to have a 'soaked' look to it though, with the surface seeming a little translucent or something. Keeping at 50-53 deg. and have now achieved 90-95% RH. That is, until condensation drips from the freezer section of my mini-fridge knocked out my meter yesterday! Hopefully it will recover . . . .

Buck47

Effect of Hard Water on Washed Curd Tomme?
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:18 AM »
First, Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I've learned alot from this exchange. Special thanks to Pav for starting it.

Here's my question"

What if any detrimental effect will using hard water (Limestone) have on a Tomme?

I'd like to start washing the curd as per Pav's instructions on Washington Cheese Guild ---> http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:washed-curd-tomme-howto&catid=43:moderate-cook-temp&Itemid=66

Can anyone advise?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:05:43 AM by Buck47 »

linuxboy

« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
John, should have minimal effect. Curd does not solubilize/gelatinize at those pH ranges for high concentrations of CO3 ions. In terms of the extra calcium introduced, not really material because the whey has dissolved calcium already. It might slow down the rate of colloidal calcium degradation, meaning you will experience a slightly slower drop in pH.

You're fine. Other ions, especially Cl- are much more harmful, but even then they require extreme pH (9+) or extreme concentrations to cause severe damage. Try a 20% wash if using goat's milk, it makes for a great cheese.

Oh, if you're trying to develop calcium lactate crystals on purpose (nice sometimes in an aged, washed curd cheese), select a culture that produces more D-lactate isomer, and NSLABs that convert L-lactate into D-Lactate during maturation. This helps to increase nucleation sites and proportion of the less soluable D isomer if you want crystals.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:59 AM »
So.... LB.

What culture meets those criteria? Why does crystal formation only show up in later stages of aging? Why in a washed curd cheese?

Buck47

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »
John, should have minimal effect. Curd does not solubilize/gelatinize at those pH ranges for high concentrations of CO3 ions. In terms of the extra calcium introduced, not really material because the whey has dissolved calcium already. It might slow down the rate of colloidal calcium degradation, meaning you will experience a slightly slower drop in pH.

Thanks Pav:

Nice to know I can use house water.

Had visions on melting snow in winter and collecting rain water in summer.

Another question: I've been skimming off the cream from the raw milk. Can I use the unskimmed milk to make Tomme? Or does using milk with a hight fat content take me into making a different cheese.

And if I can use un-skimmed raw milk do I need to make adjustments to your recipe?

Regards: john

linuxboy

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2011, 06:36:51 AM »
Well, which tomme? There are many tommes, some are full fat from whole milk. Yes, you can use it. If the PF is too lo w(higher fat), then may need to adjust the make to let the curd firm up sooner, and it may drain slower.

Chris_Abrahamson

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
LB

I just made a washed curd tomme using your recipe from the WA Cheese Guild site.   I used mixed milk - 2 gal raw unskimmed goat's milk and 1.5 gal 2% cow's milk from local grocery.  I ended up with a 4 lb wheel that I brined for 12 hours in a 19% solution.

I am at the point of drying it prior to aging and have been reviewing all the posts for how to wash it while it ages.   Frankly, I think I have read too many posts and recipes and am confused as to the best approach.  This is my first attempt at this cheese and would like to keep it simple.   Any suggestions?  3% brine with PLA?  or with geo or linens?

Thanks for the input

Chris

linuxboy

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
Chris, reason for the confusion is because there are as many possible rinds out there as there are people who make them. There are maybe a half dozen major types. What cultures do you have on hand?

geo with b linens usually makes for a smelly type, limberger rind. PLA makes for a wheat-colored, rustic type, pungent and complex rind.