Author Topic: Port Salut #2  (Read 3342 times)

tashad

Port Salut #2
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
This is my second attempt at port salut, but it's a first in a few other ways.  I basically stuck to the recipe as far as times go, but tried to make a point of checking ph at various stages, and checking for flocculation. The recipe I'm using doesn't have ph markers or floc multiplier, I just wanted to get an idea of what's what and get used to those things so I can start to use them.  This is my first time using a ph meter, and I found the results confusing.

10L creamline milk 3.25%
1/2 tsp Meso II
1/8 tsp b. linens (SR3)
tiny smidge of geo 15
3/4 tsp calf rennet, diluted
3/4 tsp calcium chloride, diluted

- warmed milk to 90F in the food warmer.  While the bulk of the milk was slowly warming, I prewarmed 1c of milk to temp and added the meso II, to try and give it a bit of a jump start on waking up.
- Once the milk was at temp, added the 1c of milk, the b. linens and geo.  ph of the milk prior to adding cultures read 6.52
- maintain temp and ripen 1 hour - ph midway through ripening read 6.67
- add CaCl and stir well
- add rennet - floc time 9.5 min.  ph at renneting 6.55
- clean break after 30 min, cut curd to 1/2" and let rest 5 minutes
- stir 10 minutes and let settle
- remove 3L whey and replace w/ 140F water to raise temp to 92.  I only added 2L of 140 water, because it brought the temp up to 95.
- stir 10 min and let settle
- remove 2L whey, and replace w/ warm water (approx 130) to bring temp to 98. 
- stir 10 min and let settle - all through the washing, I didn't write down ph, it was around 6.7 each time
- scoop off most of whey, scoop curds and whey into lined tomme mold and press under light pressure (about 5lb) with the mold sitting in the whey.
- flip/redress and using press inside food warmer, press at medium weight 30 min, 30 min, 60 minutes, overnight.  Curd ph after 60 minute press was 6.37. 

When I took it out of the mold this morning, ph was 5.18 - 5.34 depending on where I placed it on the cheese.  I took the cheesecloth off and repressed a little while to smooth out the wrinkled side a bit before putting it into the brine.  I also weighed it before brining, and it weighed in at 1362g.  That seems heavier than it ought to be.  I *think* the culprit was my cutting.  I'm not very good at eyeballing 1/2", and even worse when it comes to the horizontal cuts. (curd cutters from Perfect Cheese are on my wishlist).  I think the curds were cut too big, and then not stirred/cooked long enough to compensate. 

My rennet amount can probably be cut back a bit next time, but I usually have trouble with not getting a clean break even after an extended period, so when I reduced the amount of milk from 12L to 10L, I kept the rennet the same.  I probably want to be using a syringe and measuring in cc's rather than fractions of a tsp.

Is it normal to see the ph rise in the beginning?  That didn't make any sense to me, but this is my first batch using a ph meter.  The meter is brand new, freshly calibrated.  Calibrated repeatedly last night, in fact.  I kept doing it thinking that the meter was malfunctioning or something.  Would butterfat mess up the readings?  Half of the bottles of milk had plugs of fat that had risen, and a lot of it wouldn't re-incorporate so there was a fair bit of butter floating around in there, and the electrode seemed to get pretty greased up.

One other thing I did was dip a toothpick into the bottle of annatto and swirl it around in the milk as it was warming.  It was hardly any at all, but I think it took a bit of the edge off the whiteness.  Gave it a bit creamier of a color.

I have it in the brine right now, since 9:15 am.  The recipe in 200 Easy Cheese Recipes says to brine it for 8 hours.  8 hours from when I started is 5:15, but I have to be at a friends b-day/housewarming at that time.  Would it be better to brine 6 hours, or 11?  Should I take it out now for a couple of hours and then put it back in?

A couple of pics to follow.

tashad

Re: Port Salut #2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »
I thought I had taken more pics along the way, but ot would seem not. I was pleased to not have troubles with curds shattering this time.

tashad

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »
In the end I opted for the longer brine, and perhaps I shouldn't have.  It's almost 3 weeks in and there doesn't seem to be much of anything happening with it.  For the last 2 weeks I've been washing it with the morge that I made up for my reblochons, as per Yoav's thread (5% salt, pinch of PLA).  I don't really notice any softening or color change.  Any thoughts on whether I should keep on washing it, or leave it be now and see what it does on its own?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
B. linens likes to have a little air periodically. Typically 30 minutes a day is beneficial to help grow linens and develop color.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tashad

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 05:08:39 AM »
I'll try that.  I've been giving it some time to air out, but not that much.  Usually only about 10 minutes before I cover it up and put it back in the cave.  In the last couple of days, I've switched from washing it with a cloth to using a brush to try and get a bit of schmier going.  My thinking was that if the overlong brine caused the rind to become too firm, the brush and the schmier might soften it some and give the microbes a bit of purchase.  I don't know if that's sound logic or not, but I figured it was worth a shot.

The up side is that it's not just not growing what I had expected, it's also not growing any undesirable molds. :)

tashad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »
I don't really see any visual difference, but I think something is happening.  There is a slight bit of softening happening.  The whole cheese doesn't feel  quite as firm as it did before, and the edges especially are softer.  It smells kind of dirty, and faintly of mold, although I've not seen any mold on it.

I washed for a couple of weeks with the 5% brine with PLA in it, the last 4 or 5 days has just been with brine.  The last few days, I've been making sure to leave it open to breathe for at least a half hour after I wash it. Any advice on how I should proceed now?  I have been wondering if I should make up another brine with PLA in it.  Should I continue on with daily washing until I see something growing, geo or b. linens?  Should I cut back to every few days? 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »
That's kind of odd.

I wonder if  the geo did not get going before you started to wash it.   It needs to get slimy like a slug before you wash , this  slime is the geo and it creates a higher ph on the surface so the b linens can start up .

If that is the case then you need to wet it every day with water and see if you can get that geo going . You want it to be the kind of damp on the surface that a cheese has for the first few days after you make it . I am not sure if that will even work. And could make things worse .

Or you can leave it as it is and you have a tomme  as the recipe was the same as for a tomme.  And I think that is how I would proceed , as it is  gives the highest probability of a tasty product.

From here on you can leave it to go wild or dry brush when ever it gets molds  or even vacumme bag .

Also your ph went higher during  the making because you added warm water and it has a ph of 7 or so. 

tashad

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 01:10:30 AM »

Or you can leave it as it is and you have a tomme  as the recipe was the same as for a tomme.  And I think that is how I would proceed , as it is  gives the highest probability of a tasty product.

That's what I'll do then!  I've been wanting to make a tomme anyway. :) 

It didn't really seem to get particularly slimy before I started washing, only just a little slick.  I waited until day 8, which seemed like a long time.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 05:50:30 AM »
Tasha, here's a discussion about rind development that you may find interesting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
I doubt your wash is killing off the geo growth.  I washed my Epoisse's with brandy and the geo still grew just fine.  B. Linens are a strong player.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tashad

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
I noticed the other day the there was the barely visible trace of something white growing on one side, and today I can see that the b. Linens is coming.

tashad

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:15:21 AM »
I'm still letting this one go. My plan is to tend it until my mom comes to town late next month. That should put it at about 3 months. It's very two-tone. Pink on the flats and orangey yellow on the sides. Not quite as firm as it once was, but most definitely not what I would call soft.

Vnature

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
Nice rind, AC4U

I've noticed this thread too late.
Cheese like Reblochon Port Salut or Munster get a lot of salt being washed with b.linens brine. So I salt them less and they come out good. Not claiming to ultimate truth, that's only my humble experience. :D

tashad

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
Finally cut into this one yesterday. The rind is pretty thin and pliable, and doesn't taste too bad, but I prefer the cheese with the rind cut off. The paste is semi firm, but flexible. The flavor is mildly acidic, with a bit of funk. And it has a nice 'aged' note to it. It doesn't taste like a young cheese. All in all, I'm happy with it and won't have any trouble eating it up.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »
Your cheese looks good! Well done AC4U! Enjoy :)