Author Topic: New Cave Arrived  (Read 3984 times)

AnnDee

Re: New Cave Arrived
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »
are those camembert's wooden box on the background?
Where did you get those?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 03:44:27 AM »
Yes they are Ann. I got mine for about $1.00 each but I guess they've jacked the prices way up on them. If you call Ralph at  https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com/cheese-box-small-2-2-inch-diameter-x-2-7-inch-height.html he should be able to get you some at a good price.  Just tell him you want the large ones, 5 1/4".  I'm sure he'll help you out.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:56:13 AM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 04:53:27 AM »
Al, how long did the prior cave last? I think I had the same one with coils in the shelves and a rainfall inside... My freezer convert cave lasted about one year, and died in the middle of the night with the alarm waking me! I have been skittish about freezers since then...
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »
It lasted, I believe, 4 years Susan.  I'll check the post I made when I bought it. Yep! 2012

Well I've just started out making cheese, as a hobby, in a small way.  Prior to actually making anything I decided that I needed a place to age the cheese in place before I could make it.  After looking at every small fridge in the area I stumbled upon a 6.9 cubic foot Igloo upright freezer (Best Buy $179.00).  It seemed perfect for my needs as far as size and configuration.  I also picked up a Johnson controls remote thermostat for $45.00 and installed it in the freezer by drilling a hole through the back and running the probe into the freezer and under the center shelf.  I then sealed the hole with silicone. To this I added a thermometer/hygrometer of the non-electrical variety which I attached to the inside of the door with industrial double back tape.  I set the thermostat for 56 degrees and let the freezer sit for several days to normalize.  Much to my happiness when I checked on it the temperature was right at 56 and the hygrometer read 85%.  Been making cheese like crazy since and am really enjoying it. ;D

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
The compressor died on mine. I am wondering what the expectation can be for compressors in general in inexpensive refrigerators or freezers. Do you think that running a freezer on a different cooling cycle than what it was designed for will shorten the compressor life? Perhaps what we are faced with is just buying a new unit every few years - hopefully not more often than that. I find myself in analysis paralysis in trying to decide what to buy!
Presently running 2 small refrigerators (3.5 and 4 cuft) with temp controller on one to keep it at about 55 degrees, and the other is just turned to as little chilling as possible, which keeps it at about 45 to 50 degrees.
It would be nice to just run one unit. Well, I might be tempted to keep a separate one and make some blues!
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
I bought the small one in the pic, back in the corner, for my baby bries Susan.  This freezer was originally $600.00, I believe, but I got it on sale at Home Depot for $400.00 plus I get an extra 10% off as a retired veteran.  I don't think it will shorten the life span of a good freezer.  The Igloo I had had write ups about the compressor going out after 3-4 years.  Unfortunately I didn't find those until way after I bought it.  I'm pretty sure this Frigidaire with last.  At my age it won't take much for it to outlast me anyway! LOL ;D Don't know what stores you have around but if you check Lowes and Home Depot they often have upright freezers on clearance due to new models coming out.  You can get some really good deals on these 14 cu ft models because no one usually buys them.  I have a 22 cu ft I use for food.  This thing would't hold the pork in my freezer let alone everything else the wife stuffs in there. LOL  Good idea on the blues.  I may store mine in the little fridge when I do them next.  They are terrible for cross contamination.  I would add that anyone choosing to do this be certain you don't drill through a hidden cooling coil when drilling for the temperature probe.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:14:00 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 02:52:26 AM »
How is the humidity working out on this cave Al?
Watching with interest!!
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
It's right at 80% on its own.  Looking at options to kick that up a bit.