Author Topic: Can I add PR alter 10 days on my Camblus?  (Read 1941 times)

smcaro@gmail.com

Can I add PR alter 10 days on my Camblus?
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:47:58 AM »
Petit Bleu (4 cheeses) made on the 13 th(13 days ago)and put into maturing boxes at 11-12 Celsius exactly 10 days ago and being turning every day, pierced one week ago, and leaving them at room temperature for a couple of hours every day. Problems:

1. Absolutely no trace of blue mold anywhere on any of the four cheeses which are ripening in two different airtight boxes.

2. white mould grew only on the sides  after 4 days. Since then the mould has darkened and has Toad skin. No sign of any mould top or bottom except for narrow band near the edges.

3. Cheese still very hard.

My question is:Can I add PR after all these days on these four cheeses? If so, just sprinkle the PR on both sides or diluted and sprayed?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Can I add PR alter 10 days on my Camblus?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 05:03:58 AM »
Better to dilute and spray ,   

Do you know the humidity ?  Are you getting moisture on the inside lid every day ?

Only 2  main reasons for molds to not grow well , excessive low ph or low humidity 

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:19:54 AM »
Thank You Gregore

Yes, the lid always has a lot of liquid moisture. Inside also. The main problem is that I am in Hong Kong where the humidity out of the wine fridge is higher than the one inside.  I am leaving them a few hours airing every day. Temperature in the room is about 20°C inside the wine fridge it is 11 Celsius.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
Airtight boxes?  PR requires air to grow.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:29:29 PM »
Al, they are in pairs in big ripening boxes with air flow top and bottom, plus I open them for a few hours a day...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »
Gotcha!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:50:55 AM »
Seems like you are doing every thing correct , not sure why no blue yet .

I have visited Hong Kong and i now can understand humidity, when I was there it  was 98% out side . Or at least that is what I think the news said as it was in Cantonese .

I do not remember blue molds high point for humidity   But I wonder if you could be exceeding it.

You might try 1 cheese out side the box and the rest inside to see if that changes anything

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
Thank you again Gregore yes the humidity outside is worse than inside my cheese cave /wine fridge. he he. I haven't been able to check them Since Sunday but will let you know of progress. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
Probably too late for remedial action. I do all of my blues at 63F and about 80% RH for about 10 days, until the cheeses are covered in blue. I do a LOT of blues, and this works perfectly every time.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
Probably too late for remedial action. I do all of my blues at 63F and about 80% RH for about 10 days, until the cheeses are covered in blue. I do a LOT of blues, and this works perfectly every time.
Hey Ed!!  Long time no see!  Glad to see you're still around giving out professional advice buddy!! ;D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
My pleasure. IMHO, "Normal" cave temp is too cool to get a good start with blues, or bloomy rinds. The goal is to get a really quick growth of blue before anything else can get started. It's a simple numbers game. You add blue spores, which are in a much higher population density than contaminants. BUT, you have to maximize the growth of the blue quickly, or you lose the numerical advantage. P. roq. definitely prefers a little higher temperature, and humidity if you want a good start.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
I keep mine out in a 65-70° room until the blue shows up, usually 5 days.