Author Topic: Gruyere question  (Read 1457 times)

brewbush

Gruyere question
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
I have a 4# wheel aging right now.  I have been washing rind every few days with a saline solution and it keeps the surface moist and almost slimy (instructions were from cheesemaking.org.)

My question for gruyere makers....can they be cleaned up and waxed or do I have to allow a rind to form for authenticity?

Thanks

reg

Re: Gruyere question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Most of what I make are Alpine style cheeses semi hard to hard and it is my belief that your cheese should have a natural rind. I wash with a weak brine but never leave the surface wet/slimy but that is the way I make it. After several months I vac pac

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Try putting a little white wine or white vinegar in your brine wash and air the cheese out at room temp to dry after washing.  An hour, flipping after 30 minutes, should do it.  The rind won't form if it's too wet.  Cut down on your washing regimen until you get a good rind.  Where's the pictures? :o
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

brewbush

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Its funny you mention keeping it dry, here is a copy paste from the website with the recipe.
Pics soon!!

8. Aging:

The cheese is now ready to be aged for 30-40 days.

The aging temperature is 54-58F and humidity of 85-87% should be maintained. Any surface mold should be wiped away with a saturated brine solution.

Once the rind forms the cheese should be kept quite moist and washed with a light brine solution 2-3 times a week for 8-14 months. This will help to develop the proper ripening surface.

After a few months you will start to notice a traditional damp rosy rind forming.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
So according to the book it will form two rinds?  It has been my experience, for what it's worth, that wet cheeses don't form rinds.  Now they may be referring to doing a 'Schmier' which it sounds like they are trying to describe but that doesn't get started until the cheese has developed its initial rind.  You can red the thread I did while learning the process from Alp here if you like.  See if that sounds like what they are talking about.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos