Author Topic: Christmas \ Fruit cake weekend  (Read 12600 times)

john H

Christmas \ Fruit cake weekend
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:51 AM »
I always leave this to late but finally got to it this weekend. It's not cheap in Canadian pesos but a great recipe. Here are some pictures and will post the recipe if there is interest.

John

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Christmas \ Fruit cake weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:11:50 AM »
Nice. :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
So you're the one making them!  LOL  Look delicious!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »
I'm interested in the recipe! When I was a child, I thought fruitcake was the worst thing ever. But somewhere along the way, in the last 56 years, I have changed my mind, and now I love it, especially when it is very nutty. I've been thinking I need to try my hand at making some fruitcake, so if you are willing to share your recipe, that will give me a known starting point!
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:57:49 PM »
If you soak them with brandy, light them on fire, and then serve warm with warm Bird's Custard, they are delicious!!!  Otherwise they suck. LOL Those look gorgeous!  Obviously you didn't skimp on a thing in the recipe!  A man after my own tastes! ;D

john H

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
Yes Al they taste great. Like wine and cheese aged is better. I have managed to squirrel away half of a cake in the cave from  the make in October 2015. Now that is a mouth full of flavour.

John

lazyeiger

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
Do you have fruit cakes for weddings in Canada?  Traditionally in England the top tier of your wedding cake is kept for the christening of your first child, luckily we only waited a year so it wasn't too dried out and mouldy!

Last year we made a couple for Christmas and just couldn't eat them all so I cut slices vacuum packed and froze them. fantastic to be able to pull out a couple of slices of Christmas cake in July!

Here you go Andy, this is the recipe that my Mother has made for as long as I can remember! http://www.vintagedorset.co.uk/tag/mrs-beeton/

Jon

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:29:25 AM »
Do you have fruit cakes for weddings in Canada?  Traditionally in England the top tier of your wedding cake is kept for the christening of your first child, luckily we only waited a year so it wasn't too dried out and mouldy!

Last year we made a couple for Christmas and just couldn't eat them all so I cut slices vacuum packed and froze them. fantastic to be able to pull out a couple of slices of Christmas cake in July!

Here you go Andy, this is the recipe that my Mother has made for as long as I can remember! http://www.vintagedorset.co.uk/tag/mrs-beeton/

Jon

We did this when I was married in England.  The icing lifted off of the fruit cake a year later in one piece, hard as plaster. LOL  Cake was still good!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
Many thanks!
-- Andy

john H

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »
Prepare a 10" spring form cake tin cut brown paper (3 layers) to fit bottom and sides of the tin and butter bottom and top layer. Set aside.

1 cup (250 ml) seedless raisins

1 cup (250 ml) golden raisins

1 cup (250 ml) currants

1 LB (454g) red candied cherries

1 LB (454g) green candied cherries

1 cup (250 ml) chopped blanched almonds

1 cup (250 ml) chopped cashews

Combine all fruit and nuts and mix 1\2 cup (125ml) flour (from the 1 2/3 cups) into the fruit and nut mixture.

1 2\3 (410ml) all-purpose flour

1\4 tsp (1ml) baking soda

1\4 tsp (1ml) mace

1\4 tsp (1ml) nutmeg

1 tsp each cinnamon and allspice

In a separate bowl mix remaining flour baking soda and spices.

2\3 cup (160ml) butter

2\3 cup (160ml) brown sugar packed

4 eggs

1\2 cup (125ml) molasses

3 tbsp. orange juice

1\2 cup (125ml) brandy or rum

2\3 cup (160ml) pure strawberry jam

more brandy or rum for wrapping cooked cake.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.

add molasses, orange juice, brandy or rum and jam. Stir into fruit mixture and mix well. Fold in flour and spice mixture about 1\3 at a time. Spoon into prepared cake tin and smooth the top. Bake on the middle shelf at 250 (120c) oven for 3 1\2 hours or until cake tests done.

Before baking starts place a pan of hot water on the shelf beneath the cake.

When done remove cake from the pan and cool on rack. Remove brown paper. Wrap in brandy \ rum soaked cheese cloth and then in foil. Store in cool place for at least 3 weeks to ripen. When long term ageing wash with brandy \ rum  (brandy \ rum is the preservative)  about every 1 to 2 months.

Frost if desired.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
I have been perusing quite a number of different fruitcake recipes, including the ones above. While the basic ingredients are the same -- butter, eggs, flour, spices, preserved fruits, nuts -- there is quite a startling variation in the proportions, what sort(s) of fruits, and what sort of liquids - if any - are used. (I was particularly surprised to find a large number of recipes not using molasses - I thought that would be a given!) There is also quite a bit of variation in the methods of preparation.

Well, one of the things I love about making cheese is the freedom to experiment with variations to see how it affects the final result, and to try to emphasize the flavors and textures that we particularly want. With that in mind, I decided to assemble my own recipe from the various options that I have been reading. I especially like fruitcake that is extra nutty, so my experiment adjusts the proportions of fruit and nuts accordingly. Will it work? Will it be any good at all? That remains to be seen - ask me in a few weeks! But I will say that the batter tasted pretty darn good, maybe even close to heavenly. :)

But in case anyone is interesting in the franken-fruitcake recipe that I came up with, I have attached it. If you read it, you'll see alternatives that other recipes suggest in parentheses -- these are not alternatives that I have tried for this round, but things that I wanted to keep in mind for future experimentation.

Whatever your fruitcake preference (including none at all), I wish you all a blessed holiday season!
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Looks delicious Andy!!  I've seen fruitcakes made without molasses and they appear almost yellow.  Really couldn't see the point in eating one. LOL  These and Christmas Puddings are my favorite.  A merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
A couple of notes after they finished cooling - I either need to use smaller pans (to get a thicker cake), or lower the temperature, or reduce the time - I took them out after 1:45 and they were overdone. :( I'm hoping the next few weeks of brandy infusion will help them moisten up. Also, I should have gone ahead with my first inclination, and lined the pans with parchment paper (as John H shows) - they stuck badly on the bottom. :(

Well, still fun to experiment with, and I have hopes that in 3-4 weeks they will at least be edible! :)
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
I'm sure they will be fine! ;)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
Well, I am reasonably confident they will be edible, and even tasty. I'm mostly worried that they will be too dry. But I will keep infusing them over the next few weeks, and that may help ... and even if they are still too dry, I suspect I'll still go ahead and eat far too much. :)
-- Andy