Author Topic: Poly Boards for Shelving  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Poly Boards for Shelving
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
For those of you setting up a new cave, or those looking to refurbish the old one I found the perfect company.  You can order custom made poly cutting boards for your selves at a very reasonable price.  Check them out!!

www.CuttingBoardCompany.com
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

john H

Re: Poly Boards for Shelving
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »
Cool thanks for posting Al.

John

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:14:27 AM »
These are great John.  I ordered two 22 x 17.5" 1/4" thick white poly boards with a bullnose edge and rounded corners and a juice groove for $22.50 each.  They will fit my shelves perfectly.  http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/1-4-inch-white-cutting-board/

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
What do you think of using multiply wood? It is about 1/2 inch thick.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »
Ann I looked at both maple and oak yesterday , before ordering these shelves, and found it to be very expensive.  About $4.00 a board foot for 4" wide finished planking.  Twelve inch wide was a lot more. With two 22" X 17.5" shelves and one 15" X' 17.5" it would have required quite a bit and been difficult to clean with the gaps in the planking.  I would love to have solid wood but not at those prices.  BTW  They're giving away cedar and pine up here. LOL

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Builder-s-Choice-1-in-x-4-in-x-6-ft-S4S-Maple-Board-HDSM10406X/206733787
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:41:23 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »
Ann, when you say "multiply" wood, I'm thinking that is what I would call "plywood" - generally made using 1/8 thick slices of wood (the "plies"), stacked up with the grain for each ply running perpendicular to the previous one, and glued together with a strong glue.

My main concern with using plywood would be uncertainty about the glue that is used. Some glues will out-gas unpleasant chemicals (e.g., formaldehyde) for quite a long time.

Al, buying solid hardwood from the big-box stores like Lowes and Home Depot is going to be about 3x more expensive than other sources. Oddly, their prices on hardwood plywood are generally competitive, and often even cheaper, but when it comes to solid wood, I always go with a local distributor. Sometimes takes some searching to find one ...

FWIW, I made the shelves for my "cave" out of 1" x 1/2" strips of poplar, arranged as slats - picture included below.

-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
Very nice looking shells Andy!  Mine would have to go the other way with the cross slats having 3/16" studs screwed in them to go into the fridge sides.

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »
I will have to order a teak, mollucan or mahogany wood chopping board from a friend when I go back to my home country next week. I just can't find solid wood here (or maybe I don't know where to look).

Al, can you use pine?

Andy, nice shelves!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use anything but hardwoods.  Think of it like the woods you smoke meats with, cherry, oak, maple. Soft evergreens can retain sap and turpentine which might leach out of the wood and into the cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
Ann, you could certainly use pine - but "pine" covers a rather large span of species! Some are going to be much more resinous than others. I don't recall what sort of pine is available in Malaysia, but I would be looking for two things: 1) something with very little smell, and 2) fully dry. If you wanted to test it, cut a strip and put it in some hot water and let it soak overnight. Then taste the water. (Just taste, don't have to drink it!) If there is an objectionable taste, count on that migrating into your cheese. If not ... there may be some flavor that takes longer to act, but probably you are good to go.

I would do the same kind of testing with any other wood that you plan to use. I'm not familiar with mollucan at all, and have not used either of the other two in food-connected situations, so don't have any wisdom to offer. However, keep in mind a resource that you have in abundance - bamboo. My only use in food-connected situations is via some bamboo cutting boards that I picked up cheaply here. I don't know what sort of processing they may have been through, or if there are species-specific issues, but from that experience I would say that the bamboo is reasonably neutral.

**Just saw Al's post that came in while I was writing the above - the concern I express above is the same that he is expressing, the resin and/or turpentine that can be strong in various evergreens. But again, there is a vast difference between, say, a "white" pine and a "yellow" southern pine ... and there are a lot of things that get lumped into the generic "pine" label that really aren't pine, but rather fir, or spruce, or such. Some of these are far more resinous and/or turpentine-ish than others.

Al, I would be cautious about using some of the woods that you smoke meats with, particularly oak and cherry - both of these are used to smoke meats specifically because they add flavor. Likewise, whiskey and wines are aged in oak barrels specifically to pick up flavors from the woods. Oak in particular has a lot of tannin in it. The question is whether you want those flavors to migrate into the cheese. :) (As an aside, at least one beer maker proudly boasts that its beer is "beechwood aged" -- as though that imparted special flavors. But beech is used because it is pretty much the most neutral tasting hardwood you can find!)

For short-term contact, such as a cutting board, food contact is not a problem. For longer-term use, though -- like a cheese sitting on the wood for several months -- I would be concerned about the flavors. Now, let me be the first to say: I do not have first-hand experience with any such problem, because I avoided using any of these woods. So it may be that you or other cheese makers have been using oak or cherry successfully for years with no problems, and if so, I am ready to stand corrected! :)

Above all, whatever else you do or don't use, do NOT use walnut or olive wood. Both are beautiful ... but both taste terrible! Even relatively short contact with food results in quite strong, bitter flavors. This I do know from personal experience. :)
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
I agree totally Andy.  I used those as examples because I know they are not harmful to food stuff.  Never thought about them imparting flavors to cheese.  I always assumed that the flavors were released with heat so I guess I figured they would work great in a cave.

AnnDee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »
Thank you so much for detailed explaination Andy. I really appreciate it.
I already ordered the chopping board last night, teak wood. Teak is hard wood and once dried properly is basically odorless. Some of the old teak wood (I have old teak wood furniture) is so hard even the termites won't eat it. I learnt this personally, my house was attacked by termites after I planted some yellow bamboo trees in the garden (termites love bamboo). We use teak to ferment rice and add to our cooking  in Indonesia so I thought maybe it will be ok for cheese.
Another option is acasia but my friend told me it is 25% heavier.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:50 AM »
Teak is interesting stuff. As I recall, it contains a large amount of silicates (? something like that), which makes it hard on saw blades and router bits. And somewhere I read or heard that it is so dense that it sinks rather than floats.

I agree that, to the extent I've used it, it seems like it might not have much in the way of odor or taste. The fact that you used it in a fermentation process is certainly promising.
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 01:19:11 AM »
Received my poly shelving boards this evening.  Look great!  I really like these.  It's the two lower ones.  I already had the top one.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:20:12 AM »
Looks nice, Al... Very pro! Thumbs up...