Author Topic: Extremes in Prices  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Extremes in Prices
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:21:41 PM »
Has anyone else come across this?  I look at several web sites for cultures.  I just bought TM 81 125 DCU from one site for $5.50.  On the other site it was $42.97.  Now in the reverse, the second site had Mycodore for $15.97 whereas the same packet on the first site was $33.50.  Now I purchased both of these at the lower prices so they are correct. Not sure why the huge disparity but it certainly makes shopping around worth your time.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Extremes in Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
Huge differencces here in Europe too...

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
Al, I can help you with this problem. If you will buy all future cultures from me, I can guarantee consistency in pricing ... consistently high, of course, but I'm assuming you're willing to pay extra for the consistency. Right? Right? Al ... ? :)
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:57 PM »
I really appreciate your kind offer Andy but I think I'll stick with shopping around! LOL  I just find it very strange that there are such huge differences.  I could understand a couple of dollars but these are significant.  I have to wonder if they are misprints or if they thought they could actually get that much more. :o

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:39:54 PM »
Maybe different amount?
I am buying more thermo C and Artisan Geek has 100g for 30 dollars while the 10g sachet is 7.49 bucks. So I think I'll get 100g.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »
No Ann these were the exact same items.  I really don't want to post the links as I don't want to affect anyone's business but I will tell you that they both have great deals on things as a rule.  These were the only two items I found to be out of line.

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
I think I will compare prices from now on, I do that from time to time but many times I have no choice because if I have to get things from 2 different shops, the shipping is killing me.

Actually now I have to buy more of my cultures and some rennet (my renco is acting up for whatever reason) and also few more molds, and of course 1 important culture is not available in 1 shop and 1 mold is not available on the other!
*I'm pulling my hair here
Sorry I'm venting here :)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
I hear you - it can be a real puzzle trying to put together an order, based on whether you can get everything from one place (saving on shipping), or whether a cheaper price from another place will be offset by a separate shipping charge, or ...
-- Andy