Author Topic: Hello from Chiang Mai Thailand  (Read 926 times)

newbie001

Hello from Chiang Mai Thailand
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
My name is MAI. I have been reading this web for a while and finally decided to join.  I used to make a lot of soft cheeses mostly sheep and goat when I lived in the US as a teenager.  It was a lot of fun. Now that I am slightly older and I have a few kids, I thought it would be fun to make a variety of cheeses together. We make our own yogurt and a few soft cheeses from time to time.

I think that my biggest problem here in Thailand is to get the temperature low enough.  Most recipes and procedures that I see require room temperature, but my room temperature is a little warmer than most European and North American kitchens.  Usually around 28+C except for winter nights, it can drop cool then 15C but that is only for 1 month. 

I have seen a few products that would help. One is a single stage line voltage thermostat, the other is a dual stage humidistat (usually used for greenhouses). I saw that Leeners and a few other distributors sell them, but here in Thailand we use a different voltage and cycle than US.  Does anyone know of a supplier that builds things like this that would be compliant for Thailand electrical system? If it helps we use the same as England and Australia.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hello from Chiang Mai Thailand
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
Welcome Newbie001-

Do they sell those converter plugs there like they do here? I know we have to by these little converter plugs when we use our stuff overseas. I thought maybe they had the same thing there?

I don't think you'll have a problem with temperature most mesophilic cultures are added at 86°F or 30°C. Thermophilc temperatures are even higher. You may have to find a way to dry them cooler though. A cooler?

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Chiang Mai Thailand
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
Heelo Mai and welcome to this forum, I live in Houston Texas and in summer our thermostat is set at 78F, about 25C I think and no significant problems. As Debi says, many recipes call for warmer temperatures in early phases.

For 50 hz/220 volt equipment your could try some of the European or Australian/NZ Cheese Making Supply Stores listed here.

There are several members here also in tropics, so feel free to post your records and problems!