Author Topic: Help Needed!  (Read 1805 times)

M112358

Help Needed!
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »
Help needed!
I am interested in making cheese. I bought some materials and try to make Mozzarella and ricotta with the remaining whey.

The first attempt was a disaster.  After let it the curd hang on cheesecloth for about 60 minutes. I try to cut the curd in strips to put it on the microwave. It was hard like the hardest rubber I have seen. After managing to cut it in strips, I put the hot water on it. They pieces just got harder. I try to eat one piece and I was chewing until my jaws got tire. 

For the second attempt, I changed the milk brand. Everything looked good. The curd cut fine. After I let it rest on the cheesecloth, the curd texture was that of cream. It did not release any whey. So this is 2 for 2.   
Before I send more money, I need to know if anybody has a foolproof recipe. (Take in consideration that I am a very good fool). If you do please send it to me.

If you have a recommendation of an easier cheese to start with, let me know.

Thanks

Mariano

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
Hi Mariano, and welcome to the forum.

As it turns out, contrary to what is sometimes advertised, mozzarella is one of the harder cheeses to make successfully, or at least that is the consensus of the majority of folks on this forum. There are a few who seem to have the knack, and are able to get consistent results, but many of us have experienced multiple problems.

The great thing about mozzarella is that it is a fresh cheese - you can make it this morning and eat it at supper tonight. There are other fresh cheeses that you can make, some that can be eaten right away, but some benefit from a few days of resting in the fridge. This is not an area that I have done much with, so maybe some of the others can chime in with some possible recipes.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to do some searching through the forum for threads on mozzarella, and if you want to dry a simple aged cheese, look for threads on Caerphilly or Lancashire.
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:44:33 AM »
If you have a recommendation of an easier cheese to start with, let me know.
I have enjoyed making and eating Saint Paulin. The small form factor and washed rind treatment ripens it fairly quickly so that it can be enjoyed earlier than other larger cheeses.

Member awakephd is right about the apparent difficulty in successfully making mozzarella. I have yet to be successful. ::)

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:54:47 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
Hi Mariano. Welcome on board.
It sounds like you chose the wrong cheese in mozzarella. I haven't tried it myself but I don't know how many posts I've seen on the forum from new cheese makers who have had problems with it.
The good news is that you can be confident of getting good results with most other cheeses.
I would agree with Andy's suggestion of a Caerphilly. Pretty straightforward and ready to eat from about 3 weeks on.
Other simple cheeses with a short turnaround, and ones which I can recommend, are Caciotta and Robiola. You can get recipes for both of these here.
- Andrew

M112358

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I think I will live the mozzarella for later on. I will try all of the suggested cheeses. I will try first Caerphilly and Saint Paulin. I did a little research and I think I will like them.

Thank you very much specially for the prompt response.

Mariano

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
As a follow up - I had some milk that needed to be used up, just some store-bought P&H milk, only 1% - so I decided to give another try to making mozzarella, along with some UP half-and-half that I had on hand. Some parts of the make went well ... and it stretched well ... but it seemed like I could either stretch it smooth and wind up with rubber, or not stretch it enough and leave it grainy. I chose the rubber route. :( It tastes good, looks smooth and beautiful, but not the texture I would like it to have. Sigh ...
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
I will cast another vote in the "mozzarella is hard to make right" box. I would recommend you visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE31MqUy6nIMJ_f8y4R3_AA he makes many cheeses and you can pick between them. Overall, I would say that Butterkase is maybe the easiest cheese with the fastest turnover time (you can eat it in 28 days). I would for sure recommend a cheese that doesn't take a long time to age because you will want to try it very badly... I know I did.

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:30:03 AM »
Yep, mozzarella is not a beginner cheese for me too. I can make the 30 minutes method few times when I started making cheese (with raw milk only), then I started to make mozz the traditional way (long method), for 1 year I ended up with a lot of halloumi and cottage cheese. Now after few more years making cheese I think I start to get the hang of traditional mozzarella, but believe me I still get nervous everytime I make mozzarella.
I think Lancashire is a nice one to try too, everyone I know who tried it really like the taste and it only needs 4-5 weeks aging.

dantose

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:07 PM »
Paneer is an easy one. I ended up making it after I screwed up and bought UP milk instead of regular pasteurized milk. I used one batch as a ricotta stand in for manicotti. It did great!