Author Topic: My first attempt at reblochon  (Read 1496 times)

tashad

My first attempt at reblochon
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Following Yoav's recipe and instructions as closely as possible, I made my first reblochons on Nov 20.  I cut it in half because I only have 2 molds that are the right size, and unfortunately I had to use P&H milk.

The instructions were very nice and detailed, and everything seemed to go pretty much exactly as it should.  They came out heavier than anticipated, so I think I could maybe have used a slightly heavier weight (I only used 3lb).  I started the wash regimen after 4 or 5 days.  They're now done their two weeks of washing.  They aren't as orange or as soft as I expected them to be at this point.  They are stinking up the air around them, but they themselves don't smell completely gross.  I am thinking that I will wrap them and move them to the cold fridge today.

reg

Re: My first attempt at reblochon
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
Very nice. I always wanted to do some other cheeses besides the Alpine style but I only have the one wine fridge

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »
Nice! :)

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »
Very nice!
I think it will continue to 'red' up as it ripens. I want to make this one too!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »
Be careful that the Geo doesn't become too aggressive...that can lead to slipskin. The Geo is apparent in your pics. May be time to wrap and move to cooler storage to complete ripening. :-\

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tashad

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 05:00:11 AM »
Done!  They're wrapped up and in the cold fridge.  Will the colder temp slow the geo, but still let the b. linens develop?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
The colder fridge will slow every thing down , but no worries these look pretty much like what they should look like at this point . Maybe even a little farther along than mine after 2 weeks.  Just keep following the timing of the make sheet. As it is fool proof.

When you are ready to test cut out a  very very skinny wedge from the center to the edge and taste , if it needs more time  push the cheese back together and age a few days longer . Then test again.

When I make 4 of them I like to take 1 out early and move it to the cave to ripen before the others as they all come due in about a 2 week window.  So that is 1 for me, 2 to share then one last 1 for me.  They are so delicious it seems more than fair