Author Topic: first pepperoni of the year  (Read 5591 times)

reg

first pepperoni of the year
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
Made my first pepperoni of the year this morning. These guys are about 3/4" in diam but I also made two large ones that are 2" in diam that will be used for pizza

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: first pepperoni of the year
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:44:04 PM »
Thumbs up! :)

tashad

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:37:28 PM »
Nice!  How long until they're ready?  Cured meats are next up on my "must learn" list, but I won't get there for a few more years, I think.

reg

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 03:57:32 PM »
Thanks Danbo

Tashad the pepperoni are a semi cured sausage meaning they are cured with #1 and then cooked in the smoker to an internal temperature of 145*. At this time they are ready to eat but I like them a bit drier. The next step will be to air dry them for a few weeks to firm them up. This time I used a pepperoni spice I purchased at Cabela's out on Vancouver Island when we were there in October, pretty good stuff for store bought.

Home curing meats is a great hobby and as much fun making as cheese. Both of these hobbies seem to fit together because they are both fermented products

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
As someone who also loves the art of Charcuterie a cheese for your pepperoni. ;D  Do you use bactoferm on these?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

reg

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
Thanks Al. No bactoferm on these as they are a cooked sausage. On the dry cured I always use TSPX culture and the #600 mold they sell.

Do you also get into meat curing ?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
Yes although I haven't done much lately.  I did do a video last week on wet curing and smoking a ham.  Twelve hours of hickory makes for a great smell in the house when you cook them!  I need to get off of my butt and do some salamis now that I have a cheese cave large enough to hang them in.

reg

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »
Oh I hear you about those smoked hams done at home, nothing like them. My brother loves those the best.

Attached is a different kind of ham but this one is a dry cured ham called culatello. It is the large muscle on the rear leg cut off the bone, cured with salt and a touch of black pepper. Normally they are cased in a pig bladder but they are impossible to get here so we have cut 5" beef bungs into strips and cased them that way. These are now two years old and could be the very best hams I have ever tasted.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »
Look delicious!! :P

Frodage3

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Home curing meats is a great hobby
Hi Reg,
How would you recommend a newbie getting into sausage making? Is there a favourite book you recommend?
Jim.

reg

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »
Hi Jim. Yes there are a number of books you should look at with the first being Great Sausage making recipes by Rytek Kutas. It is a very old book but a good one for beginners, it certainly covers more than the basics. Other good books include Charcuterie, Salumi both by Ruhlman and Polcyn, The Art of Making Fermented Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski and then there is Olympia Provisions by Elias Cairo and Meredith Erickson.

I would suggest you should start out first making fresh homemade sausages then move on from there. A good start (without having to worry about equipment) would be to buy two pounds of fresh coarse ground pork, 2 teaspoons coarse/flake sea salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic granules, pinch of red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup water or red wine. Mix all these ingredients together well then make patties and fry them up. See what you think then move on but I will warn you, it does become addictive and you will find you neighbours becoming more friendly ;)

nosphalot

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »
I love pepperoni. Unfortunately I've only made the snack stick variety with things like fermento for the tang. Have also made some italian sausage that turned out okay. The problem i had with both was that the seem underseasoned. Have adjusted spices on both recipes, but have yet to get the right level for my tastes. Guessing it is just a difference in the strength of spices between mine and the recipe writers, but who knows.

Was wanting to make some summer sausage this holiday season, even have the Bactoferm F-LC in the freezer, but have been too busy and making too much cheese.

Jim:

The books I have here are the following:

• Sausage Making by Ryan Farr - I like this book for an intro to sausage making. Its easy to follow, and they repeat the process steps in each recipe so you don't have to go back and forth for every step. The part that I really don't like is that the recipes are all very artisanal and fancy. For someone starting out who just wants to make sausages they know and can compare to a store bought favorite, it leaves a lot to be desired.
  • In the Charcuterie by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller - Has a lot of great info on meat preservation over a broad range of techniques. For sausage making, it only has a small section and not many recipes.
  • Salumi by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn - Great book on Italian dry curing. Downside is that it only covers that style of sausage.
  • Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski - The Bible of sausage making in my opinion. It covers everything you need to know, and so much more, in extensive detail. It has recipes for almost every sausage you'd want to make, and possible exists. You want to get to the level where you can read this book. And that's the problem; until you know a little about whats going on, this can be like reading astrophysics proofs in greek. If you are up to it, and willing to read until it starts to make sense, then this could be the book that teaches you 95% of what you will ever need.

My recommendation would be to get Home Production and just work through it. If its too much and you just want to make sausage right away, find an intro book with a few recipes you want to make and then get Home Production if you find you like making sausages.

Couple things on equipment. The only real specific equipment you need is a grinder and a stuffer, though a mixer comes in handy when mixing larger batches with frozen hands. You can get both grinder and stuffer as attachments for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. If you already own these attachments, use them until you need something better or the heat starts affecting your sausages. If you don't own them, buying them isn't always the best plan. If you are pretty sure you are going to make average sized batches or regularly, then buying the dedicated equipment will pay off in money, time and quality. The dedicated equipment will process more meat faster and with less heating of the meat, which can ruin a sausage. If you plan on doing this, and can afford it, I'd suggest getting a grinder first and making sure they sell stuffing tubes with it. While stuffing with a grinder is not as nice as with a dedicated stuffer in my opinion, it works great in the interim so you can save money and figure out what size stuffer you need. I can't really recommend and particular brands, I think I have one of the more expensive MegaForce units, but I had never heard of them and i can't really compare it to any other brands as its the only one Ive owned. I've heard good things about the grinders LEM makes, but they seem expensive to me, but if they are quality, it could be worth it depending on your usage.

Reg has a great idea on a first batch. Once you get to were you want to use casing, I'd go with a sage breakfast sausage or italian sausage. Both will be sure to get consumed and don't require any special techniques or equipment beyond that needed for making cased sausage.

One thing that needs to be stressed. In recipes that call for a curing salt, make sure you are using the correct salt and that you get the amount right for the quantity of meat you are using. This isn't an issue with fresh sausage that don't use a curing salt, but it is extremely important on sausages that do. Botulism is deadly. But very easily prevented with a little care.

Al:

Any downsides to keeping the sausage in a cheese cave? Or is it devoid of cheese at the time?

reg

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
Hi Al. There are only a few magic numbers anyone needs to know when it comes to making pretty much any sausage. For fresh sausage all you need is 1 t flaked sea salt per pound of meat, everything else is for flavouring. You can weigh the salt if you like because they are not all the same.

For semi cured cooked sausage (or any cured cooked product) the important ingredients are figured out by a simple formula. Weight of the meat, the salt content will be 3% of that weight including #1 curing salt used at 1 t for every five pounds. If you are wet curing bacons or hams you add the weight of the protein, the weight of the amount of water used to cover the product and that total weight is multiplied by 3%. If you are using a sweetener, sugar, maple syrup or whatever usually the multiplier is 1 or 2 % of the total weight. Everything else added is for flavouring

For a dry cured fermented sausage we get into weighing all the important ingredients, namely salt but including #2 curing salt used at 1t per every five lbs, dextrose at 2% of the total weight (dextrose feeds the started culture) and the culture itself. Everything else is for flavouring.

You could very easily make a cured sausage out of the recipe I gave Jim by adding the cure and a tiny bit of culture. For myself I only make large batches but the idea is the same.

Now having said the above it would seem making cured sausages is very easy but there is a lot more to it, reading and learning the proper setups is crucial.

As far as using your cheese cave for curing sausages it really is not a great idea because the cultures used in sausage making are very different than those used in making cheese. You will most certainly get cross contamination of these cultures

john H

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
Thanks Al. No bactoferm on these as they are a cooked sausage. On the dry cured I always use TSPX culture and the #600 mold they sell.

Do you also get into meat curing ?

Hey Reg, where do you get them order on line or local?

John

reg

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
Hi John, we get the cultures from The Sausage Maker, 1500 Clinton BLVD in Buffalo NY. It's about 15 minutes from the Peace Bridge