Author Topic: Buttery brie recipe/techniques  (Read 1406 times)

backyardanarchist

Buttery brie recipe/techniques
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
Hello. I have just began my adventures in cheesemaking. And brie is the one that I can't nail down. I'm fond of the brie that has a thick custard like paste and a strong buttery mushroom taste. Except my last brie ran a lot and had a very bitter and acidic taste. I just got a ph meter and a good thermometer. I have a cave that fluctuates between 50f -55f

I would love to know what you do to get the perfect brie.

I'm a chemist so I would be very interested in whats going on  inside that turns the curd to brie.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Buttery brie recipe/techniques
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 05:13:30 AM »
I haven't made Brie but I have done Camemberts which are pretty similar.
Many of those who make Camembert advocate reducing the temperature to about 4-8C (~40-45F)after a couple of weeks, once you have a good coverage of white mould. That should help to solve the problem of it going too runny too quickly.
- Andrew

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:40:39 AM »
Look for recipe for "stabilized brie"... :)

AeonSam

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
Mastering Artisan cheese has a nice rundown on what's happening inside of brie and camembert. The short of it is that when the culture inside the paste begins to ripen - it produces lactic acid. The target ph for brie is around 4.4 to 4.6 in the recipes that I use. Once the lactic acid begins to be produced - the p. candidum feeds on the lactic acid and causes the ph to become more alkaline. I'm not exactly clear on this (I will have to go back and look) but when the ph is acidic, the cheese ceases to be "water loving" and would be on the dry side. When it becomes alkaline - it starts to be "water loving" again - which is called "resolubility." This is how it becomes gooey.

As for bitterness... I've been making a lot of giant brie's and mine have been (I think) due to too much rennet or too much moisture when I've drained them.

If you post your recipe, a lot of great guys on here can analyze it.

Sam