Author Topic: Nameless Semi-Lactic Cheese #1  (Read 1607 times)

AeonSam

Nameless Semi-Lactic Cheese #1
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
Howdy friends,

I've been very busy and haven't been on here as much as I'd like. While my schedule has gotten so hectic, I decided to do a very easy recipe in the meantime. It's so simple but produces nice little results.

I got this recipe from a cheesemaker friend and I modified it a little to see if I could get a thinner rind on these.

The geo came in really strong but thin and I'm seeing the pc come in very lightly. It's hard to tell in this light but I'm very pleased with the feathery pc covering. We'll see how it tastes. Happy Holidays to everyone.

With that, I have a sad, newbie question... I'm using microcrystaline wrapping paper and I suddenly doubt that I'm using the right side on my cheese. Do I use the textured side or the clear side? I assume the textured side because moisture could escape but aesthetically, it looks more proper if the texture is on the outside.

Thanks! Sam

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Nameless Semi-Lactic Cheese #1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:38 AM »
There's a shiny side and a dull side. The dull side should be against the cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
Nice looking cheeses!

Happy holidays to you too... :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
I bought some of that paper also but didn't really like it so I went to the regular cheese paper.  I find it wraps snugly and lays down on the cheese and, with the bloomy whites, fits in the boxes great. ;D  I recently found that Cash & Carry has cheese paper sheets in a box rolled up like aluminum foil so I'm buying those now.

https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com/cheese-making-supplies/cheese-making-packaging/waxed-kraft-paper-for-wrapping-cheese.html

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AeonSam

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:09:21 PM »
Great Price Al.

Do you find that the moisture still finds it's way out?

Thanks boofer. Sad question.

Sam
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:43:07 PM by AeonSam »

Beans

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
I bought some of that paper also but didn't really like it so I went to the regular cheese paper.  I find it wraps snugly and lays down on the cheese and, with the bloomy whites, fits in the boxes great. ;D  I recently found that Cash & Carry has cheese paper sheets in a box rolled up like aluminum foil so I'm buying those now.

https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com/cheese-making-supplies/cheese-making-packaging/waxed-kraft-paper-for-wrapping-cheese.html

Hey Al, Can you post a picture of the cash and carry cheese paper.  We have a store sort of close to us.  Thanks Curt

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Al, I'm curious about that paper - it doesn't specifically say that it allows for the gas exchange needed for ripening a cam or similar cheese. Do you use this paper during the ripening phase, and if so, has it worked well?
-- Andy