Author Topic: Milk - Nutritional Content Comparison  (Read 4517 times)

DaggerDoggie

Milk - Nutritional Content Comparison
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
I have found a lot of information on David B. Fankhauser, Ph.D site.  Actually, it was the first cheese making site I found.  Anyway, I found this interesting: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/milk_content.htm

I'm going to get myself a reindeer.  That stuff has to come out of the udder as cheese.  I almost got a pair of reindeer several years ago when my kids were little, but lack of time due to a demanding job and lucidity made me think better of it.  I may have to rethink that.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Milk - Nutritional Content Comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »
WOW! 19.6% fat! That is pure butter!

wharris

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:41 AM »
That reminds me of my last trip to Anchorage.  I brought back some reindeer sausage......

I showed it to my little neighbor kids and told them Santa might be late next year...  :)

They were not happy.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:57:30 AM »
Oh you are soo bad!   :D

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:03:15 AM »
My guess would be that a reindeer doesn't give much volume of milk.  When you compare the different breeds of cows, the ones that are the high producers also have the lowest butterfat content.  So Holsteins, while they can give up to 8-10 gallons a day, are the lowest commercial butterfat content cows.  Beef cows, on the other hand, have a typically high butterfat content, but produce more in the range of 1-2 gallons per day. They aren't as persistent in their lactations, either, usually drying themselves up in 9-10 months, while a Jersey can go for a couple of years, if desired.

Just a few more cow facts for you!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36:31 AM »
We have alot of Jerseys and Holteins up here. My Dad had Jerseys. I love their eyes. I know I'm weird but I think cows have pretty eyes.

archroy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:50 AM »
Yeah that site is cool he even shows how to make your own rennet  :P

-Archroy

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
No, Debi, you aren't weird - I'm in love with my cow's eyes, too.

The latest edition of Carla Emery's book has information on making your own veggie rennet, using common weeds.  Here's a link to purchase the book:  http://books.google.com/books?id=8vqp_XLfNKYC&pg=PA775&lpg=PA775&dq=carla+emory+encyclopedia+for+country+living+rennet+t%20histle&source=bl&ots=OYb52bQsaJ&sig=bxsIL4WiRhCVeR_Ls5yVqdkFzdY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

I have a copy of it from the 70's and use it as my first go-to resource for anything regarding the homestead.  She has some interesting cheese recipes, too.