Author Topic: Chiming in from Portland, Oregon  (Read 1238 times)

sputicus

Chiming in from Portland, Oregon
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is David and I am obsessed with cheese making.

<insert AA styled response here>

Two months ago my wife gave me a surprise birthday present of a cheese making class taught by Mary Rosenblum at Kookoolan Farms in Yamhill, Oregon. I was hooked. Since then I have made five cheeses (Manchego, Gouda, blue, Stilton, mozzarella and ricotta), built two cheese presses, bought a dedicated dorm fridge for blues, bought a commercial external thermostat and started my first electronics project to build my own thermostat from scratch. I am currently reading American Farmstead Cheese and I am getting more and more frustrated with Ricki Carroll's book. Maybe someday I will try my hand at writing.

I have lived in Portland my whole life, am married and have one daughter. I am a software engineer in my day job.

Now I am hooked on scanning this forum and posting, so I thought i might be appropriate to post this intro post.

linuxboy

Re: Chiming in from Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »
Welcome! American Farmstead Cheese provides a lot of in-depth information. You're well on your way :)

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, it is a fun and addictive place. I too find the Rikki's book is to be used for a guide only. She presents scant information that can be put to practical use and often time contradicts herself in presenting her recipes. Have fun with it!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »
Howdy Dave in Oregon and welcome to the forum. If you want, please feel free to add any thoughts on books in our Library as will help others and as your thoughts here will probably get buried!

Looking forward to your input.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:26:12 AM »
Hello Dave welcome to the forum!