Author Topic: Frisbee cheese aka learning curve- cheddar edition  (Read 1147 times)

DoctorCheese

Frisbee cheese aka learning curve- cheddar edition
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:35:46 AM »
    My real very first cheese was meant to be a cheddar, but the whole process was also an experiment to see if I would enjoy making cheese and all of the shenanigans, responsibilities, and paraphernalia that tag along with the hobby (or way of life for some). Below you will find my best description of the recipe I followed as well as a description of the mistakes I made. I did not originally consider this to be my first cheese until recently since I wrote it off as a failure, so that is why my previous post referred to my butterkase as the first. However, since cracking it open and giving it a taste it is not a success and will be displayed here.

Ingredients of the original recipe:

10 L whole milk P&H
1/8 tsp mesophilic culture
2.5 ml CaCl
2.5 ml Liquid rennet
12 drops annato (which I omitted completely)

Method
Pre Step 1: realize you only have a pot that can do a half recipe and divide the recipe by two.
Step 1: heat milk to 88 F and add meso, stir in, ripen 40 minutes.
Step 2: Add Cacl and rennet then stir 1 minute. Allow to set for 40 minutes. I did not like the break so I waited another 10 minutes at which point I realized one of my fatal flaws which was UltraP milk (see mistake section).
Step 3: I cut the curds best I could with a knife at diagonal angles to approximate 1/2 inch diamonds followed by 5 minutes of healing.
Step 4: I then slowly increased the temp to 102 f over 45 minutes while gently stirring.
Step 5: Let the curds settle for 40 minutes, then drained off the whey, cut the resulting curd slab in half then placed it back in the pot to keep it warm while cheddaring.
Step 6: I then turned over each half every 10 minutes, four times, for a total of 40 minutes cheddaring.
Step 7: Drained the whey, milled the slab then placed chunks in to a cheese cloth lined 7 3/4 inch mold.
Step 8: I pressed the cheese on one side for about an hour, then flipped and pressed on the other side using what I guesstimate to be a 25 lb weight. I then pressed overnight with more weight, too much weight (see mistake section).
Step 9: Somewhere during the pressing process or after I remember putting salt on the outside of the cheese.
Step 10: Cheese was air dried for about 3 days and then waxed using very hot cheese wax and subsequently aged at varying temps and humidities  for one month.

Mistakes
I originally decided to try and make cheese as a fun activity to do with my step mom over Thanksgiving break. In all of my excitement and naivety, I made numerous mistakes that have taught me a great deal.
    • I underestimated the size of pot required to make the recipe I wanted to make and had to cut it in half as a result.
    • I had a lack of understanding of what type of milk to use and mistakenly used ultra pasteurized milk.
    • I did not weigh my pressing implements, nor did I respect the premise of not pressing the crap out of my poor cheese (there was very milky drainage)
    • I gave myself too short of a window to make the cheese and ended up having to convince my parents to wax it for me after I had traveled home so it had time to air dry
    • During the cheddaring process I am pretty sure I missed a key aspect e.g temperature control
    • The rennet tablet was not dissolved well enough
    • Nothing about the maturation was kept consistent nor was it within the parameters I would have liked.

The cheese
All said and done I ended up with a skinny disk of very hard and dry cheese. It tastes like mozzarella but with the zinggyness of buttermilk. It actually is quite pleasant. I kept half out to eat and I poor man's vacuum packed the other half to try and see if I can develop some more flavor in it. In the end I consider this to be a major success given the number of mistakes I made while still coming out the other end with something edible  ;D[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:52:55 AM by DoctorCheese »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Frisbee cheese aka learning curve- cheddar edition
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
I think that you can call it a sucess... Making cheese from ultra pasteurized milk is hard! ;)

My guess is that the overprocessed milk and perhaps the partly dissolved rennet tablet is to blame. Could be that your curds have shattered in tiny pieces resulting in an excessive loss of whey etc. That said a cheddar is very dry until aged for some months. Your cheese looks like it knitted nicely though. How long did you age this?

I don't think that the pressing weight sounds alarming - cheddars need a lot of weight.

When I started making cheese I was focused on making a lot of different cheeses fast to learn as much as possible. Now I'm concentrating more on being good at a few cheese types at a time. That gives me a much better understanding of what even small changes from make to make does to the end result.

I still make lots of mistakes and far from all of my cheeses are masterpieces - if any... And then I need to plan my makes better so that I don't have to get up at 3 am to put a cheese in the brine etc. ;)

Just keep up you good work and don't give up! A cheese for you.

:-) Danbo

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »
How long did you age this?

Hey, thank you for the encouragement. What you are seeing in the pictures of the cheese all cut up is 1 month of maturation. Do you think my "poor mans vacuum pack" will work for aging it longer in my cave?

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
Everything that keeps the mold off your cheese... ;) In the past I vacuum packed most of my cheeses but now I dip my cheeses in cheesewax. My experiences with vacuum packing  cheese are not good - but a lot of members in here use it all the time with great success. I think that the key is to ensure that the cheese is sufficiently dry when packed as it can't breathe through the plastic. If you see any kind of liquid in the bag then you need to take out the cheese, give it some air to dry the surface and then pack it again.

A month for a cheddar is not much - and if your curd is very dry then it us a very short time.

:) Danbo

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »
If it is edible, then it is a success!
-- Andy