Author Topic: Whey disposal best methods  (Read 1845 times)

nettie

Whey disposal best methods
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »
Hi fellow cheesies,

I am hoping someone is able to give some advice re the best way to dispose of whey.  We are currently in the planning stages of building a cheese factory and we are trying to figure out the cleanest and safest way to dispose of the whey.  I was thinking of sending this to the septic system but I am not sure if there is to much liquid then.  If anyone has any plans local regulations or anyways for disposal it would be great.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Whey disposal best methods
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:34 PM »
If there are any local farmers around with pigs just call them.  They'll be glad to come and get it.  Pigs love whey!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MrsKK

Re: Whey disposal best methods
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
It won't work in your septic system.  Or rather, your septic won't continue to work with whey being put into it.  The bacteria from cheesemaking cultures are very oxygen hungry, so you would end up killing off the system.

My home is an old cheese factory and the neighbors next door were farming while the factory was still in operation.  The factory sprayed the whey on their fields for them and they have said that their fields have never been as fertile since those days.

Only you can investigate your local regulations regarding this.  I don't even know if it is still legal here to spray it on the fields.