Author Topic: Moosbacher - looking for the recipe  (Read 5041 times)

AnnDee

Re: Moosbacher - looking for the recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
Ann, the only "food" (and I use that term very loosely) that I associate with the smell of a broken public toilet - if you add in the smell of burnt onions and garlic as well - is durian.

Which brings up an idea - maybe this could be your next cheese experiment - durian cheese! Just don't send me any - I tried durian twice, and decided it wasn't worth the effort. My father, on the other hand, loves the stuff ...
Ew...durian cheese :o
I am not very fond of durian as well, my brother who is crazy for them, has to go out of the house to eat it and stay out for sometime until the smell goes away (yes, Malaysian durian is that strong and this is a plus point according to him).

Vnature

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
I do like durian too, I ate them many times during my South East Asia vacations.  :D  But I would never try a durian flavoured cheese because durian smell and durian taste is a big difference. As for me the freshly open durian smells sharp but not disgusting.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Well I know it - the two times I tried it, the smell and taste stayed with me for many, many hours!

My brother thought durian smelled wonderful - ?!?!? - but when he tasted it, he hated it. To me, the smell and the taste are equally awful. It seems that most people have an all-or-nothing response -- either you love it, or you detest it. :)
-- Andy

Vnature

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
Started swelling. Tooooo fast. I hope it won't burst tonight.  :o

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:52:24 PM by Vnature »

DoctorCheese

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 03:44:13 AM »
Moosbacher, I hardly know her!

I want to make a cheese that has CO2 holes sometime, till then I watch your adventure.

Vnature

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
It hasn't busted yet.  :D Got several minor cracks but they are not deep. I smeared the rind with olive oil to prevent deeper cracks. It smells like a cattle ranch and a fruit basket at the same time.  :o

Vnature

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
After 3.5 weeks of a warm stage I moved the cheese to the cold chamber. It lost to much moisture so that I vac packed it. But first of all I took a sample. Honestly there was nothing special comparing to the typical Baby Swiss. I'll age it for one month more. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
Beautiful cheese. Love the rind. Sample looks good.

It smells like a cattle ranch and a fruit basket at the same time.  :o
I almost missed this characterization. Sweet! ;)

Well done. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:26:23 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.