Author Topic: Question of make cheddar cheese from raw goat's milk  (Read 3194 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Question of make cheddar cheese from raw goat's milk
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:58 AM »
Chung, for the cows milk, did you by chance mean 6.5-6.6? That would be within the normal range for store-bought milk. But 5.5-5.6 is way, way low.

Unfortunately, I don't know the expected pH for goats milk, so I'll have to let someone else answer that one!
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
I think you should look that up but it sounds way too high for goats milk though I do not know for sure.

If it is too high it could be the beginning of the milking season or the end  ( I do not know where you live so I do not know your current season )  or the animal could be sick.

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
At the beginning of my goats lactation, the milk has around a 6.8 pH, later in the year its closer to 7.2. I test Somatic Cell count and for subclinical mastitis and this is healthy for my goats milk. I just adjust my culturing time to reflect the changing pH of the milk. Higher pH, then longer culture time.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 05:37:51 AM »
So it is normal for goat milk to  be so high at the end of the year?  , I new it got higher but I am surprised goats milk gets so much higher than cows milk.

So do you wait until the ph drops below 6.7 or so to rennet when it is really high?

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
I usually just wait until the pH has dropped to around 7.0. That's usually enough to get a good curd set.