Author Topic: Valencay PH rate  (Read 1537 times)

Anton

Valencay PH rate
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:02:20 AM »
Hello everybody!

I can't find the information about sufficient PH rate of Valencay cheese heads before salting and ash covering (after draining). Plese, help me.
I know that the acidity of cheese heads before salting is very important for further cheese mass and rind development.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Valencay PH rate
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
Anton, welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I have never made Valencay, nor have I had any, so I do not know the answer to your question.

However ... is this type of cheese anything like a camembert or brie? If so, it is likely that the acidity is simply allowed to go to the maximum. During the making of camembert or brie, the pH drops to 4.5-4.6 or so, about as low as it will go under the action of the lactic bacteria. But then while aging the pH rises back up, I think above 6, due to the action of the Penicillium Candidum.

Again, I may be completely on the wrong track, since I am not familiar with Valencay, so feel free to disregard!
-- Andy

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »
Andy is correct. I have made Valencay style quite a few times and pH targets are not a concern. Also the ash coating helps to raise the pH and facilitates mold growth on the rind.

Susan

Anton

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
Susan, Andy, thank you for reply!
PH 4,6 - is normal, ok. But if it drops to 4,2-4,3 - is it ok for this kind of cheese?

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:26:00 AM »
To be honest, I go by time not pH. From what I have read it is a matter of personal preference how long you let the curd sit in the molds before salting/applying ash. I tend to let the curd drain for 12-18 hours at 68-72 degrees F, then salt/apply ash. works well for me. The longer the curd drains the drier/tangier it will be. If you want a sweeter, moister cheese then you can drain for a shorter period of time. You might have to experiment a bit to see what you like or what works for you. That is the fun of cheese making  :).

Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:11 AM »
As Susan says, I think it is simply a question of the desired taste. I would be surprised for the pH to go as low as 4.2, but I wouldn't think that would necessarily be a problem.
-- Andy