Author Topic: Quick mini fridge question  (Read 1364 times)

Phiber_optikx2

Quick mini fridge question
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
Quick question. I am going to be using a mini fridge for a cave.  I plan to control temps by using a digital thermostat. My question is, should I drill a hole through the side of the fridge to put temp probe through or can I just close the door on the wire? I would hate for the door to pop open due to the cord.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Quick mini fridge question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
In my caves I just close the door on the cord for the sensor. I have no problems with doors not closing tight.

The risk when drilling is to damage a cooling pipe (if compresser cooled) og electric wires.

On the other hand it looks neat when no wires are visible.

:-) Danbo

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
I've had no problems closing the door on cords on my two caves for the past several years.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
I use a 14 cu ft upright freezer and I drill a hole just large enough for the temp probe through the lower rear of the freezer being sure there aren't any coolant lines there.  I then use silicon sealant to seal the hole.  I mount the probe on the center rear of the freezer wall and cover the line and probe with white duct tape.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Mike Cross

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
I would drill a hole and seal it back with silicon.  Use a hole guide to determine the minimum size for the largest item that has to go through (mine was the humidity sensor) and then simply drill where there are no coils.  I used pull tie hold downs glued to the inside and outside walls and pull ties to keep all the wires together.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
Since you live in Missouri, you get some hot and humid summers like I do here in Florida.  I have noticed that most people that don't have condensation problems live in the north or colder climates.  I suggest you do not run the cables through the door seals but rather drill an appropriate hole with a proper bulkhead.