Author Topic: When life gives you lemons... make mozzarella?  (Read 1001 times)

minkcar

When life gives you lemons... make mozzarella?
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:55:56 AM »
Perhaps a bit misleading of a title.  I intended to make a soft cheese (Ricki's Bondon recipe, essentially a cream cheese with whole milk) using a buttermilk culture.  I forgot to add rennet, and it didn't curdle.  In 36 hours.  I could smell the buttermilk, though, very strongly, so I figured the culture was still good.  Adding rennet that late would probably have been a disaster.

So, I took Linuxboy's mozzarella recipe, took the 1.5 gallons of buttermilk-cultured milk, added another 1.5, and tried to make mozzarella.  Found out my thermometer's broken, couldn't find my pH meter.  The rennet got me a nice clean break, and everything from there went basically perfectly.  I've never made a better mozzarella!  I stretched one ball, and it was a bit on the under-done side, and came back in 2 hours and it stretched amazingly.  I probably could have let it go a little longer, or kept it a bit warmer, but without a thermometer and with a mesophilic culture, I played it really conservative on the temperature.  Started early enough in the day to have some time to wait.

Mozz is really challenging, and I was surprised I was able to pull it off at all.  Pizza time tomorrow :)

tashad

Re: When life gives you lemons... make mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
Nice save!  Not only did your milk not go to waste, but you successfully made a notoriously troublesome cheese.  :)

minkcar

Re: When life gives you lemons... make mozzarella?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
Got it on the pizza and it was a bit rubbery, but had good flavor.  I probably under-acidified a little bit, which makes me happy because all my previous forays tended to over-acidify.