Author Topic: Buttercheese - Danbo's fast ripening version (ready in 14 days)  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Buttercheese - Danbo's fast ripening version (ready in 14 days)
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Hi cheese heads,

Here it is... My buttercheese (butterkäse) variation.

I hope you enjoy it. If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know then I will add comments make corrections to the recipe - let's make it the best butter cheese recipe together.

I would really love to hear from you if you are going to use the recipe or have already used it.

:-) Danbo

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Buttercheese - Danbo's fast ripening version (ready in 14 days)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Thanks buddy but I did one yesterday.  Will post a pic on Anndee's thread.  I will save and print yours for future use.  I may be making a lot of these now that I figured out this sous vide thing. LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tashad

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
Thanks Danbo!  You saved me from having to go searching for it.  This will be the next one I try.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
Al: I'm glad to hear that the sous vide controller works for you. :-)

Tashad: Exciting... I hope that there are no typos or errors in the recipe...

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:04:47 AM »
This is a keeper Danbo. Thank you :)

cbenner33

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
I want to make a Butterkase, what happens if you let it age longer (maybe 6 months or more)?

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:18:15 AM »
You probably need to opt out the geo and cut the curd smaller, I haven't done it but I think I won't age butterkase more than 2-3 months because I like their softer texture.

tashad

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 04:11:59 AM »
Hi Danbo,

I have a few questions, if you don't mind. 

Do you think the fast ripening is due to the specific cultures you use, or your process?  I have the geo, but I don't have the choozit thermo cultures.  I have thermo type B (ST + LB) and thermo type C (ST + LH).  I'm wondering if I can use one of those and reasonably expect to have it ripen similar to yours.

I am planning to reduce the size of the batch to 16L, that's the maximum I can fit in the warmer tray.  In your recipe, you replace 8L of whey with water.  Should I try to stick to that, or would I be better to go to 1/3 of my volume, 5.3L or thereabouts?

Paine88

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
I'm back! Winterdepression is loosing it's hold, so I'll soon be able to try this! I'll have to try halving the recipie as my pot only does 15L, but still! Might be a couple of weeks still, but I'll make a full post about it when I do :) Thanks Danbo, and AC4U!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
Tashad, I'll offer my thoughts on your question - in general, I would say that the particular culture blends will certainly have an effect on how fast the cheese reaches the target pH in the process of the make. For example, TA081 is a slower acidifier than TA051 (these are Danisco Choozit designations) - but both are basic ST blends, just different variants. Likewise, Flora Danica is significantly slower than MA011+MD88, even though, as best I can tell, the latter combination represents the same bacteria as the FD blend. (Could be the proportions that are significant in the FD blend ... or it could, again, be a different variant of the basic meso bacteria.) I don't know how thermo blends compare with meso blends, i.e., if there are any consistent tendencies or if it really just depends on the specific variants. I suspect the latter, but that's just my own suspicion, based on my own less-than-scientific experience in making cheese at home. :)

In terms of the ripening of the cheese, you've raised an interesting question. By the time the cheese is ripening, as I understand it, the bacteria are pretty well dormant or dead - but they leave enzymes behind that have significant effect on the ripening of the cheese. I'd be curious to know how much the differences in enzymes affect the differences in speed of aging.

However, what I do know - or at least, what I have read in multiple sources, and what matches my own experience - is that the single biggest factor in the aging time for the paste itself - not counting mold- or linens-ripening activity - is the amount of moisture that is contained in the final cheese. Higher moisture = faster aging; lower moisture = longer aging.

Of course, if mold (PC or PR) or yeast (geo) or B. linens are involved, there is an active biological process involved that greatly affects the nature and speed of the aging. Temperature and humidity will be significant factors in how these processes are encouraged or retarded.

Again, all of the above is based on reading and personal but not particularly scientific experience, so take it all with a grain of salt. Hopefully others will chime in and correct my mistakes. :)
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
Oh, forgot to respond to the question about how much whey to remove - I would keep the amount proportional to the size of make. If 1/3 of whey was removed in the original recipe, aim for a similar percentage in the scaled recipe.
-- Andy

tashad

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »
Thanks Andy.  I think I'll go ahead and try it with the cultures that I have, and see how it turns out. 

AnnDee

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 03:00:23 AM »
Hi Tashad,
I used Thermo C on a butterkase I made 4 weeks back because during the make I realised I was out of LH100. It turned out good, similar taste but less holes in it (which I prefer actually).

DenMike99

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
Hi cheese heads,

Here it is... My buttercheese (butterkäse) variation.

I hope you enjoy it. If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know then I will add comments make corrections to the recipe - let's make it the best butter cheese recipe together.

I would really love to hear from you if you are going to use the recipe or have already used it.

:-) Danbo

Danbo, do you know if this one would be a good cheese to make for a stinky old aged "Gamle Ole" ?
I miss Gamle Ole from when I lived in Denmark, and that's one of my reasons for jumping into the cheese making game.

I found a bit of info  in Wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbo, but I am not sure if this recipe is considered a Danbo and what else would be required to be successful with a Gamle Ole clone.

Thanks
Mike