Author Topic: Tilsiter, washing at the end of aging time  (Read 3254 times)

Stinky

Re: Tilsiter, washing at the end of aging time
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 02:28:49 AM »
I actually got to try a Tilsiter in Austria this summer- simple, basic one from the grocery store. It was much stronger than I expected, if not in the realm of Limburgers and such. Quite good on walnut bread, but not my favorite by itself unfortunately; haven't gotten fully used to enjoying that flavor.

I am not a big fan of stinky cheese myself, but I like this one when it is not too strong hence the washing at the end (I tried without washing it and I did not like it very much  :P ). I don't know how the proper Tilsiter suppose to taste because I have never tasted it before I started making my own  :D

That's exactly why I was surprised when I tried it.  :D The one I made had just a hint of funk and was really delightful, so I didn't expect the real deal to be that strong.

Congrats, it looks very pretty! +C

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 06:30:20 AM »
Excellent! Looks very tasty...thanks for posting the inner pics. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:10:15 AM »
Thank you Stinky!
I wonder what makes our home made and 'the real deal' is so much different? Can it be the process of larger bacth is that much different? Well, this Tilsit is one of our family, friends and guests' favourite even though they have never heard of this cheese before.  ;D

Excellent! Looks very tasty...thanks for posting the inner pics. :P

-Boofer-

Thank you Boofer. This and the Montasio has become one of the favourites in my house.

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 05:38:15 AM »
It's almost certainly the ripening process. Encouraging the b. linens more or less will vary result quite a bit. How much brine you leave on the cheese, for example. A wet cheese will be much more... funky than a drier one. With my Tilsiter, I was still trying to figure out the amount I needed to do to get what I wanted, so it was wetter than the Emmentalers and as a result had more of the linens flavor. Just a hint, though. Someday I might try to make one more authentically for the kicks.