Author Topic: Educating My Taste Buds  (Read 1926 times)

Duntov

Educating My Taste Buds
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
At one time I thought I knew how a good cheese taste.  But now that I have had the opportunity to make and try some well known cheeses, I would say I am more educated.  My likes of cheese hasn't changed, just my bar has been raised quite a bit.  Cracker Barrel just doesn't cut it anymore.  lol

My local grocery store has started on rare occasions to have some nicer cheeses such as aged Gouda, Stilton and aged Cheddars.  But it has been hit and miss here in my culinary wasteland.  Now having visited Murray's Cheese Shop, I am spoiled.  I have decided to place a once a month order with them to try different cheeses and better understand the varying characteristics and to also find what I personally like.

So here is this month's taste trials and oh my, I am in heaven.  I have tried the Stilton before but needed more as I haven't been able to produce enough for my family.  I also wanted it to propagate/cultivate the Penicillium Roqueforti strain they use for my own makes.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:04:19 PM by Duntov »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Educating My Taste Buds
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »
Excellent, John.

When I read about a cheese, and want to duplicate it, it has been helpful to actually sample commercial examples as you've done. Otherwise, how would you know what the end product should be?

My "Cheese Tasting with the Old Man" series shows similar to what you have presented. I would include a link as I normally do but I'm using my smartphone just now.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
Why do you gotta be hating on cracker barrel man... but seriously I am jealous of the cheese freedom you have!

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »

My "Cheese Tasting with the Old Man" series shows similar to what you have presented. I would include a link as I normally do but I'm using my smartphone just now.

-Boofer-

I would be interested in the link when you get a chance!

Why do you gotta be hating on cracker barrel man... but seriously I am jealous of the cheese freedom you have!

Oh, I am not hating on Cracker Barrel.  It is like my children.  I spent my life with them but it is time for them to get out of the house.   :P

tashad

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:02 AM »

Oh, I am not hating on Cracker Barrel.  It is like my children.  I spent my life with them but it is time for them to get out of the house.   :P

As the parent of an adult child who is currently living at home (and prefers Cracker Barrel over the cheeses I make), that made me laugh out loud.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:23:43 PM »
As the parent of an adult child who is currently living at home (and prefers Cracker Barrel over the cheeses I make), that made me laugh out loud.

That is a funny story Tasha.  Even thou I am retired and have great grand children, I also have a 13 year old daughter at home.  She has watched my journey of learning how to make cheese.  She discovered what real raw milk tastes like and won't settle for store bought anymore.  She always samples my cheeses and those that I purchase.  And now Emily has become quite a connoisseur and gets quite excited about a cheese that has protein crystals.  I think she is a keeper and can stay at home as-long-as she wants.  lol

tashad

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »
She does sound like a keeper!

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
Your posted picture makes me hungry.
I also still love buying cheeses, especially of the ones I am making but never tasted before. The only problem is, I can't find cheeses like Tilsitter or Morbier in my local shop so I haven't got a clue how are those supposed to taste like. I'm envious of your Murray's shop visit, must be such an experience.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Duntov

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  Congrats spending some great time with your Dad.

MaryJoh

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Yummy!!
I love cheese.