Author Topic: Beer Infused Cheese  (Read 2740 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Beer Infused Cheese
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
Hi all! Posting on my latest Cheese from this weekend. I followed a recipe from cheesemaking.com and used my Bourbon Oaked Porter I made awhile ago. The make was like a stirred curd Cheddarand went very smoothly. For adding the beer I soaked the curds before pressing to add the beer. I've been a homebrewer for almost 20 years and think I may make more beer cheeses with other beers I've brewed in the coming weeks. I am loving cheesemaking . Thanks for stopping in

DoctorCheese

Re: Beer Infused Cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
I bet that is going to be yummy, AC4U

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
How long did you soak it for? I am very interested because I am hoping to surprise my wife with a Guinness cheese soon but only have one cheese under my belt.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:18:24 AM »
I bet that is going to be yummy, AC4U

Thanks Doc I'm looking forward to it already

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »
How long did you soak it for? I am very interested because I am hoping to surprise my wife with a Guinness cheese soon but only have one cheese under my belt.

Phiber I soaked the curds for about 40 minutes. It was right before I pressed the curds. I hope that helps

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:52:46 AM »
It does thank you. I think this will be my next cheese. I want to make a red wine cheese because of the beautiful marbling it creates but I think my wife and I would eat a beer cheese in one sitting! AC4U

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
Ok, I did come up with a question. My stirred curd recipe calls for draining the curds, salting, and then keeping them at 100 for an hour before pressing. So, would you just soak them in beer for that hour or soak before?

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
Ok, I did come up with a question. My stirred curd recipe calls for draining the curds, salting, and then keeping them at 100 for an hour before pressing. So, would you just soak them in beer for that hour or soak before?

The salting will slow the culture from making more acid. I'm not sure why it wants you to hold the 100 degrees after salting. My recipe was from cheesemaking.com recipe section. You could soak in beer for the hour in your recipe vbut keeping at 100 degrees with beer added doesn't sound good to me (warm beer) I would say soak in beer for 40 mins after the 100 degree hold so that the beer and curds are more at room temp. If someone else reads this they might suggest too.

Phiber_optikx2

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »
Sounds great! I am going to try this on Thursday.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Sounds great! I am going to try this on Thursday.

Excellent let me know how it goes for you!

AnnieA

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
This is a common cheese I make. I can hopefully give you some experienced insight to the 100 degree hold. I actually put my beer in a double boiler style set up to hold the temp while infusing the curds with beer and salt.  I have taken several acid tests during the whole process to see what's going on for my records.  The 100 degrees lowers the acidification of the curds rapidly because the beer also has a rather good amount of acid which will over process your curds if you have a high acid in your curds.  Higher acid = longer aging= dryer cheese to put it mildly,  think parmesan cheese. This is not saying it a "bad thing" however,  you will lose that lovely aromatic flavor you are wanting from the beer and cheese combo.  I use goat milk,  we own a goat dairy farmstead creamery and as much as I would like to say using goat milk is the same as cow,  it's not.  Certain measures are taken place because if the different fast contents.  I have turned into a milk chemist without my consent.  Haha!!!!

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:07:01 AM »
A follow up on my Beer Infused Cheese. The cheese was aged 3 months. I also Aged it as a natural rind.  It turned out wonderful. It was creamy and moist. It had beer flavors in the background. I'm very happy with my results. Next beer cheese I'm going to try and age 5-6 weeks to see if beer flavor is stronger. Enjoy the pics Cheese nerds

Mike

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Beautiful! AC4U!

And Annie, welcome to the forum - in addition to being envious of your supply of fresh goats milk, I look forward to hearing about (and seeing pictures of) your cheesemaking!
-- Andy

gstone

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
This sounds delicious!  I believe I'll give it a go one day soon!

DoctorCheese

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Which recipe did you use from cheesmaking.com?