Author Topic: Cow's milk Valençay type.  (Read 1616 times)

AnnDee

Cow's milk Valençay type.
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
This is an experiment cheese. I use cow's milk and local dusting of charcoal.
The inner paste is good, no bitterness, no ammonia...but the charcoal is crunchy! Either we put too much or this charcoal is not fine enough. My mother describe it as "cheese with cucumber rind" because of the crunch of the rind of course.

DoctorCheese

Re: Cow's milk Valençay type.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »
That looks pretty cool! I think it might be fun to have a crispy rind as it adds a textural component. Last Saturday I went to our local farmers market and I tried what is by far the best white mold cheese I have ever had! It completely opened my mind to the potential of this type of cheese. It had a wonderful citrus note and a creaminess similar to cream cheese. It was half sheep half cow milk. I have tried to contact them to figure out how they make it so I can try my hand at it  :P AC4U

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:11:29 AM »
I use commercially prepared vegetable ash when I apply ash to any of my cheeses. It is the texture of talcum powder so is very fine. I also find it takes very little to the job. By your photos I would say you were a little heavy handed with the ash. However, it is ultimately what you like and works for you  :D.

Susan

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:53 AM »
That looks pretty cool! I think it might be fun to have a crispy rind as it adds a textural component. Last Saturday I went to our local farmers market and I tried what is by far the best white mold cheese I have ever had! It completely opened my mind to the potential of this type of cheese. It had a wonderful citrus note and a creaminess similar to cream cheese. It was half sheep half cow milk. I have tried to contact them to figure out how they make it so I can try my hand at it  :P AC4U
Thanks! The crispies is a little disturbing, lol.
The cheese you are wAnting to make probably a double/triple cream lactic style too but it must be really interesting with the addition of sheep's milk.

I use commercially prepared vegetable ash when I apply ash to any of my cheeses. It is the texture of talcum powder so is very fine. I also find it takes very little to the job. By your photos I would say you were a little heavy handed with the ash. However, it is ultimately what you like and works for you  :D.
This one has a talcum powder texture too but even when I used it to colour cake icing, the icing became gritty.
But I agree, we put way too much. I will test this again soon :)