Author Topic: Mock Cheddar?  (Read 1144 times)

Duntov

Mock Cheddar?
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:10:37 PM »
So today I was spending my free time watching bandaged cheddar cheesemaking related videos on YouTube.  While watching one I noticed that they didn't seem to mat and cheddar the curds.  They also appeared to add the cultures and powdered rennet at the same time.  The large vat was used to heat the milk, mix the cultures and rennet, set, coo and cut the curd and stir.  Then it is all pumped to a draining table where the curds are scooped out and placed into forms.

Confused as heck I did a bit of searching and came across an article on industrial cheddar cheesemaking cost analysis.  Sure enough, on page 79 of the attached pdf, in the section "Stirred Curds or Granular Cheese" they mention without matting and cheddaring.

Here is the link to the video that started this brain cramp:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHDeEjc5zRY

So what do you guys and gals think?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:17:01 PM by Duntov »

MrsKK

Re: Mock Cheddar?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
Without reading the document or watching the video, my reaction would be that industrial is always a lot different as compared to home or artisinal.  Especially when it comes to cheesemaking.

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
Without reading the document or watching the video, my reaction would be that industrial is always a lot different as compared to home or artisinal.  Especially when it comes to cheesemaking.

How is a Cheddar a Cheddar without stacking & milling (cheddaring) in the make process?  After all, the cheese is named after the process of making.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:10:47 PM by Duntov »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
The reason we all make artisanal cheeses.  ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Duntov

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »