Author Topic: Sanitising  (Read 709 times)

Offline mikeinjersey

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Sanitising
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:41:33 AM »
Does anyone use Star-San for sanitising their equipment?

Offline cbenner33

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
  • Default personal text
Re: Sanitising
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
i Boil water and use vinegar for all my sanitizing. I've never thought about using a commercial product.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 156
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
If I am doing a small batch of cheese, I put everything in the pan and just steam sanitize with a few inches of water at about 150 degrees for several minutes.
If I am using large steam pan liners, for 4 or 5 gallons, I use starsan because that seems easier and safer than trying to mess with that much hot water!
Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 193
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
Like the others that have responded, I sterilize by boiling - a couple of inches in my cheesepot, with all of the utensils inside and the lid on - boil for 10 minutes.

BUT - I do spray the counter where I will put my tools using a bleach solution, which I then wipe off with a paper towel. This is probably only psychological protection, since I then put a fresh kitchen towel on the counter, and put the sterilized utensils on that ... but thus far (90 or so cheeses made), I've not had any trouble with any contamination.
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
I use a staralizing tablet that. Add to water , don't remember the name off hand .

I like it as it is way easier than boiling or steaming . Also I can not do cheese anywhere near the kitchen becuase of the yeasty type cultures my wife has in there. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 327
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:29:29 AM »
I use a staralizing tablet that. Add to water , don't remember the name off hand .
Sounds like "campden tablets".

Like the others that have responded, I sterilize by boiling - a couple of inches in my cheesepot, with all of the utensils inside and the lid on - boil for 10 minutes.

BUT - I do spray the counter where I will put my tools using a bleach solution, which I then wipe off with a paper towel. This is probably only psychological protection, since I then put a fresh kitchen towel on the counter, and put the sterilized utensils on that ... but thus far (90 or so cheeses made), I've not had any trouble with any contamination.
Pretty much right on target. :)  Except I don't do the bleach thing, I wipe down with either Lysol wipes or Clorox wipes, then I spread clean paper towels to lay out my freshly-boiled whisk, curd-cutting knife, and skimmer.

I have a spray bottle of Star San for those incidental things that need to be sanitized.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline AeonSam

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I use star-San. I have a mop sink in my laundry room and I fill it with enough warm to hot water to cover all of my equipment. It says that it needs to sit in it for at least 30 seconds but I leave it in for 20 minutes and I've never had a problem yet.

It was recommended to me by Yoav - the owner of artisangeek.com

Sam