Author Topic: Un-churned cultured cream from butter making used for cake icing  (Read 3082 times)

LantGladstone

I was making butter and noticed that the un-churned cultured cream (I use a buttermilk culture and incubated it outside in tropical weather overnight) tasted really good.  So I took some, added icing sugar, and put it on a carrot cake.  I wasn't bad.  Has anyone heard of this.  Does it have a name?  Thanks!

Tessa

Re: Un-churned cultured cream from butter making used for cake icing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
I think you made cream cheese

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
Agreed with Tessa, especially if you strained it to remove some of the whey. (If you didn't strain it, you made very-very moist cream cheese!)

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Singapore for three years, from 1972-1975 - I loved it! I expect it has changed just a bit in the 40 years since I've been there. :)
-- Andy

tashad

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
I think it would be closer to creme fraiche.  Heavy cream cultured until it's thick. 

LantGladstone

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »
Thank you all for the replies!  I didn't remove any whey and it was very stiff yet creamy and easy to work with.  Somewhat like a creme fraiche.  Anyway, the resulting icing was tasty and worked well with the carrot cake.

Andy--yes I've lived here for over 10 years (moved from Wisconsin in the middle of winter!).  There have been some challenges with bread, beer and cheese making (temperature, dairy and grain product accessibility and terms) but things are working fairly well now.