Author Topic: Hanna Bluetooth PH meter?  (Read 4057 times)

AeonSam

Hanna Bluetooth PH meter?
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:51:35 AM »
Hello all,

It's been a busy few months and I'm just repeatedly making brie over and over until I perfect it (if possible). I thought I would spare everyone all of the redundant pics.

I was thinking about purchasing this ph meter http://hannainst.com/fc2022-halo-foodcare-ph-electrode-with-bluetooth-smart-technology.html

I have to recalibrate my cheap hanna meter every time I use it and I'm not sure that it's even accurate.

Does anyone have experience with this one? Do you have to constantly calibrate it? Does it do well going directly into cheese?

Sam

nelieto060

Re: Hanna Bluetooth PH meter?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing PH meter.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
Sam, I didn't realize you never got a response on this question. From what I have read here, there has been a lot of interest in the Bluetooth Hannah meter, but to be honest, I don't recall anyone ever actually saying they had one. (Some have the more expensive direct read model, which has a good reputation.)

Did you wind up buying this? If so, how's it working?
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:37 AM »
Another one of the posts that slipped by me.

I have the full read out model and I spoke with Hana about that model , they say it is the same  high quality probe with blue tooth so half the price of the one I have .

And mine works flawlessly

olive

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »
I have never used a ph meter like the Hanna or Extech.  For these meters, what is the general process. I had a hard time figuring this out from the manuals, which talk a lot about recalibration but not about doing the actual readings. So suppose I'm using it to make my cheese. What is the basic process?  I assume you start by calibrating.  Then I assume you would dip in the milk and get your first reading.  At that point, do you wipe the probe and dip again at the next step of cheesemaking? Or do you have to recalibrate before each reading?  I'm trying to understand what you have to do with the probe between readings to ensure it's accuracy.

Thanks!
Anne

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
Anne, I have the Extech 100. This meter features a flat tip which can be used either in liquids or on a solid surface such as a cheese.

I calibrate only occasionally, generally if it seems that my results are not quite coming out the way I would expect - maybe every other month or so. Generally I find that it is only out by .1 at the most when I re-calibrate.

In between calibrations, I wash the probe with a tiny bit of dish detergent and water, and dry it with a paper towel. Then I take my reading - and take more than one reading , since sometimes the first reading will be off compared to the others (perhaps a little bit of water residue). I then again wash and dry the probe, and then put it back in the storage solution (which in the case of the Extech, is simply some 4.0 buffer solution). I repeat this wash and dry routine for each reading - probably a bit excessive, but it helps to ensure that a film of fat is not interfering with the reading.

I hope this helps!
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:44:22 AM »
On a good meter you know you can turn it on and trust the reading , so need to check with the calibration fluid each time you turn on .

I only check it when it has sat  unused for more than a day .

My Extech , I did not trust so I would check the reading each time I turned it on , then if it was out by more than .5 I would calibrate .

I also found that 2 different probes would wander though out the make and get clogged by the the time I needed to know when to salt .

After enough abuse by that meter I finally bought the Hanna , about 2 years worth of cheese milk but I think I  gained 10 years of my life back in less aggravation.

If your meter what ever it is does not wander and or stray out of calibration then just check it every so often and trust the reading . 

AeonSam

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 06:14:37 PM »
Thanks for the response guys.

I haven't had the time to get onto the forum in awhile but I purchased the Hannah bluetooth and found that it was way more sensitive than what I was used to. I also found that the ph is different all over my cheese wheels and I think that's because my curds aren't perfectly uniform. I had read that different sizes will creat different ph levels.

Do you guys find that to be the case?

Sam

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
pH meters are a fickle lot. I have an Extech 100 and I calibrate mine every cheesemaking session and as we are working only in the 4-7pH range this is all I calibrate to.  To keep it accurate I calibrate it and between readings during the session I keep it resting in the calibration solution closest to the pH I'm expecting to read.   I wash the tip in non-chlorinated water and dab dry with paper towel and place back in the solution.   
Hey Andy
I repeat this wash and dry routine for each reading - probably a bit excessive
Not excessive... consistent !!

Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 04:28:26 AM »
Ozzie cheese

I too had to calibrate my Extech all the time , every use and multi times per use . And that was okay, but if I used it too many times during the  session it would get clogged with fats / milk proteins and start going wonky .

It would randomly wander by about 1.9 or so , no matter what solution it was  in , even with the cap on . 

Then I would have to clean it in the cleaner solution for an hr or so . And I would miss the salting ph window .

Had the same problem with 2 probes ends .

The Hanna was money well spent

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:07:46 AM »
I too find that I get somewhat different readings at different places when checking, both a pressed cheese or the slabs of curds when I am cheddaring. Usually the readings are within a narrow range on one side, but sometimes as much as .2 or .3 different from one side to the other side. I attribute this to temperature variations and/or where there has been more whey available during the initial stages of pressing/cheddaring. But this is, of course, just my guess.

With the Hannah meter, do you get consistent readings everywhere on the cheese/curds, or do you also see variations from one spot to another?
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:36:21 AM »
Very consistant once temp of the probe tip comes up to temp

Any one want an Extech ..... very cheap

AeonSam

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
Andy,

I get consistant readings in the same spot but if I place the probe in another part of the wheel, it can be different by about a 10th sometimes.

I re-calibrate with every new make.

I'm really happy with this meter though.

Sam

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 05:33:46 AM »
One thing that I did notice with the Hanna is that being a pointy probe you have to poke it into the cheese , and thus carry some of the storage fluid into the cheese and or rinse water , both of which I found effects the reading  a little ( with the Hanna being so sensitive ) so I usually poke it twice once to clean it and get the probe covered in whey from the cheese and once more to get a clean reading of the cheese .

I usually only do this when the cheese is very close to being ready for salting

And some times I do notice some cheeses are not the same all over , but usually as you say a tenth or so , so no big deal.

AeonSam

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »
Nice tip. Thanks!

Sam