Author Topic: Hanna Bluetooth PH meter?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Hanna Bluetooth PH meter?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
Interestingly, even with the flat-tip Extech I've learned not to trust the first reading - I'm assuming something similar is happening. After the first reading, I get consistent readings in one spot, slight differences over one face, and sometimes but not always slightly greater differences between one face and the other. I generally average it out to decide on the reading ...
-- Andy

Radek80

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Hi. Thank You for good advise.

Cheese Kettle Pty Ltd

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:38:35 AM »
Hi guys,

Interesting reading. I would love to hear more comments in regards to Hanna wifi model.

Over the last six years I have been using both Hanna HI 9813-5 (Igot two units purchased within 24months)  and testo 206 model (also two sets)
Both ph meters fitted with ph and temperature probs.

Let’s start with Hanna:
Quick reading for both curds and liquid.
Probes on a cord helping with day-to-day making.

Downside:
PH probe was fantastic but the main peace prove to be VERY moisture sensitive and both knob’s for PH regulation failed within 12months in both sets!
Australian Hanna distributor is a nightmare to work with to the stage I moved to Testo.

Testo meters:

-Pocket size is a plus if you walking into a tight space maturation room.
- Splash resistant
- PH probe lasting longer V hanna

Downside:
-   So called automatic calibration is a nightmare. Often PH meter will properly re-calibrate at PH4 but failed with PH7 buffer. After a fail attempt you have to start over which is adding another 5-10min as a hold up.
-   PH probe required re-calibration on a regular intervals (in my case each 1h or before major step in a cheese making – for example hooping)
-   Temperature probe and PH probe being fixed to a hand peace causing problems measuring hot liquid as screen tends to fog quickly.

useful tips which I learned over the years:
-   Submerge tip of your PH probe in PH10 buffer at least once a week for around 10min. This will help preserve probe, works really well with Testo meter.
-   When dry cleaning use a liner motion from the end of probe to the tip. Do not rub with rotation motion. This truly expand ph probe life if you work with lactic or semi hard cheeses
-   Never use your PH meter for brine checks. Use a speciality dedicated meter or PH paper. Combination of salt and low ph is deadly for any probe
-   Last one is obvious but I feel worth mentioned. Do not leave meter (probe) in highly moisture environment. After the job done take it back to your office and store in a dry/sun off/ room temp and humidty environment. Tip should be storage in a neutral PH reading gel.

I hope this help
All the best
Lukasz